Share This Forum!  

Old 10-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
blueoveryou
Vinci Rep

Custom Vinci Optimus - A Detailed Review

Preface
My goal with this review is to give as unbiased a review as possible for the glove that I have used this season. I do not care if people decide to order more Vinci gloves through me or not, what's important here is that I give I educate consumers on my personal experience with this glove.

While I did clean and relace this glove, this is not an advertisement for that service :P

Usage
This glove was my gamer for all of 2014, beginning at the end of my dome ball season at Monarch park, until October 13th when I took it apart. On average, I played 4-5 days of softball per week, and approximately 7-8 games per week. If I warmed up, this was the glove I used. Rain or shine, I used this glove. More than 95% percent of my innings was as a pitcher. I also dove anytime that I believed that I could make the play, both in games and in fielding drills.

In terms of practices, I would say that this glove saw less than 20 fielding sessions, and averaged BP approximately once every other week.

The glove was always stored in a ventilated glove bag with a ball in the pocket and wrapped up (except for the odd time when I was in a big rush). I will admit to not letting my glove adequately air out after a rainy game though

Leather
The Optimus leather is made 6.5 oz Kip leather. It is definitely on the heavier end of the glove spectrum, even with the mesh back.

The leather has held up surprisingly well considering the amount of ball I played. I can still read the word "Optimus" in the palm

The welting has held up without issue. There is no visible cracking in any part of the glove that I can see, including the hand stall and the binding.

Overall: very happy

Laces
My experience with the laces was ok. I did not have any breakages at any point. However, the laces in my H web did got extremely stretched out. I know that this is very common in H web patterns, but I figured it was worth mentioning. Also, the laces that were put into the web area did look thicker than the 3/16" laces that was put into the thumb, pinky and heel. However, the web laces were not clearly thicker and larger like you would expect to see (see any of Hank33's relace jobs for a good example).

Overall: somewhat happy

Mesh
The mesh portion of my gloved held up very well, despite the amount of times it was scraped against gravel. I did not see any tears in my mesh whatsoever. However, it did get dirty and seems like it will be a pain to clean

Overall: happy

Internals:
Because this was my first chance taking a look insider my glove, I was very curious to see what was inside. I was very impressed with the quality of the thumb and pinky inserts was used in this glove as it was as thick and stiff as any glove I had ever opened up before.

I was also pleased to see that the padding in the palm area was a separate leather piece. Some lower end gloves use a cheap piece of foam as padding, and some gloves use nothing at all and let the adhesive act as padding. Both of those padding types will disintegrate pretty quickly, but the leather piece will stick around.

The biggest thing that I was happy with inside my glove was my adhesive was almost all still in place. My heel padding was still sticking to the leather that rests against my hand, and the adhesive in the palm was still so strong that I decided not to fully open it up as to preserve it. Granted, this could be more a reflection of how much I cared for my glove while I had it, nevertheless, I was still very happy:

Overall: very happy

Pre-clean pics

When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.

-Jacob Riis

Vinci Player Rep - PM for info
Custom Vinci Sample Pics
Detailed Optimus Review

Last edited by blueoveryou; 10-16-2014 at 04:12 PM.
blueoveryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
blueoveryou
Vinci Rep

Post clean pics

When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.

-Jacob Riis

Custom Vinci Sample Pics
Detailed Optimus Review

Last edited by blueoveryou; 10-16-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
blueoveryou
Vinci Rep

Final product pics
These pics are after a little bit of couch catch but not much else. I think it is just 1 catch session away from game ready

-Jacob Riis

Custom Vinci Sample Pics
Detailed Optimus Review

Last edited by blueoveryou; 10-16-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
Hank33
Seasoned Vet

Great review, bud. Wow. Lots of info. And it looks great after you shined it up.

#LoveYourGlove
IG: @hanks_glove_works
Hank33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
teedub
BYYYYYOOOOOUUU

I have a BMB-L that I have used for a couple of seasons and the laces are for sure stretched and beat.

I love the glove but shipping to Ontario and then back plus getting it fixed doesn't seem that cheap.

Would you suggest getting hank to relace or get a new glove all together?
Vinci BMB L

Wifes:
Worth JH 454 Sick 26.5
Easton SP13B2 26oz

BC Provincial Champs Men's 2015
teedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
Damo
Lifted LifeStyle

Originally Posted by teedub View Post
I have a BMB-L that I have used for a couple of seasons and the laces are for sure stretched and beat.

I love the glove but shipping to Ontario and then back plus getting it fixed doesn't seem that cheap.

If your glove is your baby! No matter if it's worth $10 or $800
I would get it relaced cleaned up and conditioned
Some people grow attached to a glove and never want to get rid of it
Look in hanks relacing fourm there is some old old gloves in there that still get gamed today

Btw
Very nice detailed review blue!
Porkys #17

2014 Men's D NSA World Series Champs
2015 Coed C SPN Provincial Champs
2015 Men's C NSA Provincial Champs
2017 Coed Comp SPO Provincial Champs
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
teedub
BYYYYYOOOOOUUU

Originally Posted by Damo View Post
If your glove is your baby! No matter if it's worth $10 or $800
I would get it relaced cleaned up and conditioned
Some people grow attached to a glove and never want to get rid of it
Look in hanks relacing fourm there is some old old gloves in there that still get gamed today

Btw
Very nice detailed review blue!
That's what I was thinking, I love my glove right now. Pocket is perfect. It's just getting loose and needs to be shined up.
Vinci BMB L

Wifes:
Worth JH 454 Sick 26.5
Easton SP13B2 26oz

BC Provincial Champs Men's 2015
teedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
blueoveryou
Vinci Rep

Originally Posted by teedub View Post

If the leather on your glove is still in good shape, send it to Hank and let him do his thing

Unless you have an extra $200 or more dollars, then we can hook you up

-Jacob Riis

Custom Vinci Sample Pics
Detailed Optimus Review
Old 10-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
chinese freak
Post Ore

Great job Warren . Hopefully my Vinci custom gets worked in enough for me to use next yr
Old 10-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
Hurk
Favourite Food

Originally Posted by chinese freak View Post
Great job Warren . Hopefully my Vinci custom gets worked in enough for me to use next yr
That's what I'm hoping too! I got asked to play tomorrow, I'm glad I haven't sent my current gamer away to get relaced.