Softball Discussion Everything to do with softball

Share This Forum!  

Old 08-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
jfrancais
spring training

Originally Posted by noahclark101 View Post
Players,

I’d like some feedback, as I’m an NSA umpire and I was working the worlds all weekend. It seems the majority of you feel that the umps did a bang up job, and an overall improvement from past events, which does make us feel proud. Believe it or not, umps love the game as much as you do, and we absolutely care about making the right calls. For us; tournaments such as the worlds are a privilege and an honour. In the games I did, and with the teams I saw, I treated with respect, and I received it in return. Thank you players.

It seems the only real debate is strike zone. As playing strike zone is obviously the discretion of each ump, it will definitely vary from ump to ump. Some like the “human” element, but some don’t. So here’s my question: do players want a “strike-zone” to be a pitch that crosses the batters body between the nipples and knees from where they’re set in the box, or do you want the umps looking at where the ball bounces, and calling strikes based on the fact that it would have hit an imaginary mat? With guys that try to be strategic with moving deeper or shallower in the box, or running into the pitch; does their strike-zone move with them, or should it always be the landing zone behind the plate? I know some umps that use method A, and some that use B, which is where some inconsistency lies.

Which method do you feel NSA should instill upon new umpires, and transition the veterans towards?
Neither. Strike zone is over the plate as if the player is standing there. It has nothing to do with where the player is standing and should not be moving at all. Also, where the ball lands can be an indication of wether or not it went thru the strike zone, it isn't an acurate one. You can land a ball behind the plate that isn't a strike and land one to the side of the plate that is. (the reason I hate the strike mat)
FRENCH - #44

In the bat bag:
26oz Stadium Spec-One
26.5oz Legit JH Lite
27oz '17 Super Z End Loaded
27oz Demarini New Breed
27oz FuDawg
jfrancais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
ray_mich
Seasoned Vet

Originally Posted by jfrancais View Post
Neither. Strike zone is over the plate as if the player is standing there. It has nothing to do with where the player is standing and should not be moving at all. Also, where the ball lands can be an indication of wether or not it went thru the strike zone, it isn't an acurate one. You can land a ball behind the plate that isn't a strike and land one to the side of the plate that is. (the reason I hate the strike mat)
I think that's why I have found a strike zone so inconsistent because the umpire has to call what he "thinks" would be a strike "if" the player was standing there and is probably why they watch where the ball lands to make the call.
With the use of a mat it takes all the guess work away of wondering if its a strike or not. I lprefer a mat as a hitter and a pitcher.
ray_mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Gary Mac
Seasoned Vet

Go with the easiest and most clear solution. Use a mat.

"Without Teej our guys were able to focus on ball and not being sold gear by a trunker".
Gary Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
rammann
Rookie

We played 9 games all weekend and umpiring pretty good with calls and zone. I seen some guys letting some real close pitches with two strikes be up to the umpy, not my choice of fate lol!

I would be more concerned with some of the Asa shotgun bats that I can't believe dudes are swinging still, pretty funny!
rammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
noahclark101
Seasoned Vet

HOOPS-

On my calls; I like to throw a fist in the air, one arm straight out sideways, and yell "OFFSIDE!!"

That pretty much covers everything.

26oz DC41
26oz Easton B1
27oz Miken INK
27oz COMbat Derby Boy

TPX Flare/Mizuno
noahclark101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #18
kyle55
Jays Fan 4 Life :)

Originally Posted by rammann View Post
We played 9 games all weekend and umpiring pretty good with calls and zone. I seen some guys letting some real close pitches with two strikes be up to the umpy, not my choice of fate lol!

I would be more concerned with some of the Asa shotgun bats that I can't believe dudes are swinging still, pretty funny!
Glad I wasn't the only person noticing the shot gun ASA bats lol

Moosehead Jugernauts #55
kyle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
Tiny27
can of corn

im not sure what it means but what if a team has a couple of the same bats and one has different stripe tape on it above the grip that only gets used a few times each game, usually with a few runners on...................... (sarcasm)
28oz SP12SY100

Tiny27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #20
rammann
Rookie

I loved seeing a guy get a hit with nobody on, then next time same guy has runners on and here comes Asa 454 that he is newly swinging. Classic!
rammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
skully15
PONY

Any ice bats this year????

Gloves: Wilson A2000 L22 45/500

LYCANS #152014 SPO D Provincial Champions
LYCANS SS C #15
KW LONGHORNS#15 - PETER HALLMAN
skully15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #22
Hilty31
Heavy Hitter

Coors light was hitting some nice 340+ shots aganist us with a asa Salvo.
ouiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Also, was there a sale on sub dyes in quebec? every team was fully decked out alot of nice looking jerseys
Hilty31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #23
hoops00
Post Ore

Originally Posted by noahclark101 View Post
HOOPS-

On my calls; I like to throw a fist in the air, one arm straight out sideways, and yell "OFFSIDE!!"

That pretty much covers everything.
Sorry you just mentioned strike zone being nipples and knees and was hoping you knew it was highest shoulder not nipples.
hoops00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #24
Deuce
Combat™

2 things that drive me crazy.....calling a pitch deep or short. A pitch doesn't cross a zone too deep or short, it crosses too high or too low. If it hits the back stop and crosses the plate between knees and shoulder its a strike period.

second thing, pitch hits "black" part of the plate and umps call it a strike....how on earth does the pitch cross the plate at knee height and then hit any part of the plate.

Its where the pitch crosses the plate not where it lands.

Aftershock #2
Royals #2

Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote