Training Zone Tips and hints to help improve your skills

Share This Forum!  

Old 03-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Bigshawn

Ask Dammer

I thought maybe a thread solely for the purpose of asking for your professional advise would be useful to all members. With your back ground in kinesiology, as well as your expertise in strength and conditioning we could gain from your knowledge.

I'll go first. I currently jog 3 miles every morning (Mon-Fri) on a treadmill at 0.0 incline and at 5.8 MPH. On the weekend I will do a 5K run trying to top my previous time which is now at 28:38. I exercise for weight loss right now but would like to see a jump in my conditioning but I'm quite happy with the progress I'm making with the weight loss and feel the running in the morning on an empty stomach is the reason. I do lift weights 3 times a week, I don't kill myself on the weights but do feel the effects in my muscles the next day.

I was thinking of increasing my pace on my 3 mile runs and I was also thinking of HIIT running maybe twice a week. Something like setting the treadmill at 8 MPH, run for 1 minute rest for 30 seconds and repeat 10 times and walk 15 minutes for a cool down. Perhaps increase the intervals to 1:30 of running and 30 seconds rest and repeat 7 times for the second week, then increase it every week until I can do 15 minutes straight at 8 MPH.

What do suggest to increase my cardiovascular conditioning?
Bigshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Dammer
Seasoned Vet

I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can.

What types of activities do you do aside from slow pitch ? If you are involved in any kind of sport that requires quick stops and starts, such as softball, hockey, basketball, etc., then I would definately suggest basing your cardio around those types of movements. When you are running the base pads, just consider how long you are actually running. At most (I hope) the time to each base is no more than 5 seconds.

I prefer to call it energy stystem training simply because there are different engergy systems involved when you compare an explosive/power based sport to an endurance sport. For the purpose of this site though, I'll keep my ideology based on softball.

My suggestion then would be for you to base your energy system training around short explosive intervals such as the HIIT program you mentioned. I for one prefer the use of a track or field as you have the resistance of the ground to work against (as opposed to a treadmill where the ground is moving for you).

As for the program itself, I would start off with a 30 sec work to 90 sec rest ratio repeating it for 6 sets your first workout then adding in a set every other workout to follow to a maximum of 10 sets. If you can get oustide, and I 'm sure you can since the weather isn't too bad in Guelph from what I hear (I'm originally from Cambridge), then I would either find a track, a flight of stairs (my personal fav) or an open DRY field.

Hopefully this helped you out a bit and I welcome any other questions. Thanks for starting this thread Bigshawn.

Dammer

Canadian Strength & Conditioning Coach of the Year
Dammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
Bigshawn

I haven't played hockey for a couple of years but hopefully I can find a pick up game two next winter. I run in the gym because of the weather, it is nice here right now but feilds will be swamps. There is a track a couple of blocks away. From time to time I do Tabata style intervals on the treadmill at a 12% incline and 5 mph. 20 seconds on 10 off for 8 reps. I will have to try your intervals and see how it works out for me. I enjoy the gym because it gets me out of the house and there is a bit of a social aspect with going to the gym. Thanks for the reply, I didn't think you mind a thread like this and if you did it would have died.
Bigshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
orlando
Rookie

Arm Strength

Hi
I use to have a gun for an arm, when I was younger, but after separating my shoulder long time ago. I have notice a big difference in my arm strength. What exercises are available to increase arm strength for a positional player in slo-pitch?
orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
Dammer
Seasoned Vet

Originally Posted by orlando View Post
Hi
I use to have a gun for an arm, when I was younger, but after separating my shoulder long time ago. I have notice a big difference in my arm strength. What exercises are available to increase arm strength for a positional player in slo-pitch?
Great question and one I'm sure a lot of people are asking as well. I'll see if I can shed some light on a few exercises you guys may not know about.

The first is called "Rice in a Bucket" and it is designed to strengthen the shoulder and is exactly what the title says. You pour a large amount of rice into a fairly deep bucket that is large enough to you to fit your arm in to reach your elbow. You then take your hand and plunge into the rice from just above the surface. After repeating this drill multiple times, it will greatly increase your shoulder strength and help reduce your injuries. So when you come home with a 10 lb bag of rice and your significant other gives you that "look", just say "Dammer made me do it".

Some of the most important exercises every player should do daily are called Jobe exercises. These exercises consist of lifting a light weight up and down with a straight arm. There are many different angles and positions that you should put your arm in while performing these exercises to help its effect. These exercises will increase the strength in your shoulder greatly and will easily add that extra power you need to make those tough throws.

Here are the Jobe exercises that will give tremendous results.

External Rotation at 0 Degree Abduction - Standing with involved elbow flexed at side, elbow at 90 degrees and involved arm across front of body. Grip tubing handle while the other end of tubing is fixed. Pull out with arm, keeping elbow at side. Return tubing slowly and controlled.

Internal Rotation at 0 Degree Abduction - Standing with elbow at side fixed at 90 degrees and shoulder rotated out. Grip tubing handle while other end of tubing is fixed. Pull arm across body keeping elbow at side. Return tubing slowly and controlled.

External Rotation at 90 Degree Abduction (Slow) - Stand with shoulder abducted 90 degrees and elbow flexed 90 degrees. Grip tubing handle while the other end is fixed straight ahead. Keeping shoulder abducted, rotate shoulder back keeping elbow at 90 degrees. Return tubing and hand to start position slowly and controlled.

Internal Rotation at 90 Degree Abduction (Slow) - Stand with shoulder abducted to 90 degrees, externally rotated 90 degrees, and elbow flexed 90 degrees. Grip tubing handle with other end of tubingfixed straight behind. Keeping shoulder abducted, rotate shoulder forward, keeping elbow at 90 degrees. Return tubing and hand to start position slowlyand controlled.

Diagonal Pattern (D1) Flexion - Gripping tubing handle in hand of involved arm, begin with arm out from side 45 degrees and palm facing backward. After turning palm forward, proceed to flex elbow and bring arm up and over uninvolved shoulder. Turn palm down and reverse to take arm to starting position. Exercise should be performed in controlled manner.

Diagonal Pattern (D2) Flexion - Involved hand will grip tubing handle across body and against thigh of opposite side leg. Starting with palm down, rotate palm up to begin. Proceed to flex elbow and bring arm up and over involved shoulder with palm facing inward. Turn palm down and reverse to take arm to starting position. Exercise should be performed in a controlled manner.

Diagonal Pattern (D2) Extension - Involved hand will grip tubing handle overhead and out to the side. Pull tubing down and across your body to the opposite side of leg. During the motion lead with your thumb.

Hope this helps.

Dammer

Old 03-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
orlando
Rookie

Hi
Its great to have someone with your expertise , who can specifically pick-out exercise that will do the job. I hope to start soon with these and the rotator cuff exercises you posted on another thread. As I look forward to seeing some improvement finally.
Thanks
orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
Dammer
Seasoned Vet

Originally Posted by orlando View Post
Hi
Its great to have someone with your expertise , who can specifically pick-out exercise that will do the job. I hope to start soon with these and the rotator cuff exercises you posted on another thread. As I look forward to seeing some improvement finally.
Thanks
Thanks for the kind words Orlando.

Keep the questions coming folks.

Dammer

Old 03-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
Deuce
Combat™

this tubing you speak of is that the bands? would these exercises also help prevent shoulder tendinitis? I get sever shoulder tendinitis every year, I have had all test on it and there is no tears or anything but gets so bad i can barely lift my arm, and have had cortisone shots in it on a yearly basis.

Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
Cousin Shawn
Seasoned Vet

Originally Posted by Dammer View Post
Great question and one I'm sure a lot of people are asking as well. I'll see if I can shed some light on a few exercises you guys may not know about.

The first is called "Rice in a Bucket" and it is designed to strengthen the shoulder and is exactly what the title says. You pour a large amount of rice into a fairly deep bucket that is large enough to you to fit your arm in to reach your elbow. You then take your hand and plunge into the rice from just above the surface. After repeating this drill multiple times, it will greatly increase your shoulder strength and help reduce your injuries. So when you come home with a 10 lb bag of rice and your significant other gives you that "look", just say "Dammer made me do it".

Some of the most important exercises every player should do daily are called Jobe exercises. These exercises consist of lifting a light weight up and down with a straight arm. There are many different angles and positions that you should put your arm in while performing these exercises to help its effect. These exercises will increase the strength in your shoulder greatly and will easily add that extra power you need to make those tough throws.

Here are the Jobe exercises that will give tremendous results.

External Rotation at 0 Degree Abduction - Standing with involved elbow flexed at side, elbow at 90 degrees and involved arm across front of body. Grip tubing handle while the other end of tubing is fixed. Pull out with arm, keeping elbow at side. Return tubing slowly and controlled.

Internal Rotation at 0 Degree Abduction - Standing with elbow at side fixed at 90 degrees and shoulder rotated out. Grip tubing handle while other end of tubing is fixed. Pull arm across body keeping elbow at side. Return tubing slowly and controlled.

External Rotation at 90 Degree Abduction (Slow) - Stand with shoulder abducted 90 degrees and elbow flexed 90 degrees. Grip tubing handle while the other end is fixed straight ahead. Keeping shoulder abducted, rotate shoulder back keeping elbow at 90 degrees. Return tubing and hand to start position slowly and controlled.

Internal Rotation at 90 Degree Abduction (Slow) - Stand with shoulder abducted to 90 degrees, externally rotated 90 degrees, and elbow flexed 90 degrees. Grip tubing handle with other end of tubingfixed straight behind. Keeping shoulder abducted, rotate shoulder forward, keeping elbow at 90 degrees. Return tubing and hand to start position slowlyand controlled.

Diagonal Pattern (D1) Flexion - Gripping tubing handle in hand of involved arm, begin with arm out from side 45 degrees and palm facing backward. After turning palm forward, proceed to flex elbow and bring arm up and over uninvolved shoulder. Turn palm down and reverse to take arm to starting position. Exercise should be performed in controlled manner.

Diagonal Pattern (D2) Flexion - Involved hand will grip tubing handle across body and against thigh of opposite side leg. Starting with palm down, rotate palm up to begin. Proceed to flex elbow and bring arm up and over involved shoulder with palm facing inward. Turn palm down and reverse to take arm to starting position. Exercise should be performed in a controlled manner.

Diagonal Pattern (D2) Extension - Involved hand will grip tubing handle overhead and out to the side. Pull tubing down and across your body to the opposite side of leg. During the motion lead with your thumb.

Hope this helps.

Dammer
Thanks Great information
GYM CLASS HEROS #10

2009 SPN NATIONAL FINALIST BLUE JAYS #24
2013 SPO 35 E PROVINCIAL CHAMPS GYM CLASS HEROES

Retired 1996 to 2008 Raised 4 boys
COUSIN SHAWN
Cousin Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
Cousin Shawn
Seasoned Vet

Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
this tubing you speak of is that the bands? would these exercises also help prevent shoulder tendinitis? I get sever shoulder tendinitis every year, I have had all test on it and there is no tears or anything but gets so bad i can barely lift my arm, and have had cortisone shots in it on a yearly basis.
I'll send you the video I got on Youtube that shows how to do these excerices above with the band My shoulder is just coming around as my doctor won't give me a cortsone says need to do these exercises I'll send you the link tonight on facebook
GYM CLASS HEROS #10

COUSIN SHAWN
Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
bramptonfire
==============

Originally Posted by cjdj diver View Post
I'll send you the video I got on Youtube that shows how to do these excerices above with the band My shoulder is just coming around as my doctor won't give me a cortsone says need to do these exercises I'll send you the link tonight on facebook
you should just post the link on this thread for everyone to access.
bramptonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #12
Cousin Shawn
Seasoned Vet

Originally Posted by bramptonfire View Post
you should just post the link on this thread for everyone to access.
Good Idea will just have to wait till I get home tonight but it’s a lot easy to watch and see how to-do then it is to read and do them.
GYM CLASS HEROS #10

COUSIN SHAWN