Share This Forum!  

Old 04-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #1
Rocket
Seasoned Vet

Question Strike Mat Fair/Foul?

Silly question but for the life of me, I cannot find it in the SPN rule book. Is a batted ball fair or foul if it contacts the strike mat (and would otherwise be considered a fair ball)?

Our rec leagues use a strange interpretation on this rule so I'm confused and can't remember what the SPN rule is.

Thanks!!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
JP21
Heavy Hitter

Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Silly question but for the life of me, I cannot find it in the SPN rule book. Is a batted ball fair or foul if it contacts the strike mat (and would otherwise be considered a fair ball)?

Our rec leagues use a strange interpretation on this rule so I'm confused and can't remember what the SPN rule is.

Thanks!!
I'd think its a foul ball

Hoops where are you lol
Old 04-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
robokill
Rookie

Multiple places in the rule book say The entire home plate / strike mat is
considered to be fair territory.
, so I'm assuming what you described would be a fair ball.

Sec. 30 FAIR BALL is a legally batted ball that settles on fair territory between the home plate/ strike mat and first base, or the home plate / strike mat and third base or that is on or over fair territory, including any part of first or third bases when bounding to the outfield, or that first touches any base, or that first touches a player or umpire over fair territory, or which first touched the ground or the home plate / strike mat, or an object in fair territory or over fair territory beyond first and third bases, or that while over and above fair territory passes out of the playing field (i.e. over and beyond
the outfield fence).
robokill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
hoops00
Post Ore

Ha ha yep the mat is considered a part a fair territory so you better run it out.
hoops00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
Hagarty15
Seasoned Vet

We had this called foul on us in NSA this weekend. I'm not sure I understand how it could be foul. If it hit anything else in foul territory and rolled into fair it would be a fair ball.... Worked in our favour anyways tho so.... no harm no foul.... Ya I said it.... Lol

2016 Diamond Duster Coed D champs
2016 Summer Sizzler Coed INT champs
Thrown out #15

2016 Summer Sizzler Mens INT champs
Reckless #15
Hagarty15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
crush23
SFO Superstar

Originally Posted by hoops00 View Post
Ha ha yep the mat is considered a part a fair territory so you better run it out.
This is what we play. Fairbank if settles in fair territory.
A2000
Bag of Spitz
crush23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #7
TheShoe
Post Ore

Odd. We then got robbed of an out in SPN this past weekend on the same call. Happened and catcher threw to 1st while the batter didn't really react.

Umpy had some excuse as to why it was foul, which seemed like an odd explanation as he referred to it hitting a specific portion of the plate/mat combo... And yet here, the consensus is anything that hits down onto it is a hit.

Didn't matter in the long run, but the batter got a mulligan.

Originally Posted by hoops00 View Post
TheShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
Rocket
Seasoned Vet

Originally Posted by TheShoe View Post
Odd. We then got robbed of an out in SPN this past weekend on the same call. Happened and catcher threw to 1st while the batter didn't really react.

Umpy had some excuse as to why it was foul, which seemed like an odd explanation as he referred to it hitting a specific portion of the plate/mat combo... And yet here, the consensus is anything that hits down onto it is a hit.

Didn't matter in the long run, but the batter got a mulligan.
This is how I've seen it called here. Mat is foul. Most of the umps around here bounce between NSA, SPN and league specific rules so I'm not surprised that it fluctuates a bit.

Thanks for the help fellas!!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #9
BaseBallJunkie
Seasoned Vet

Isnt it foul ball on board/mat? But when stike zone using an actual home plate the plate is live...
Old 04-27-2016, 02:34 PM   #10
hoops00
Post Ore

Unless something special has just come out the plate or mat is live ball and in fair territory in all associations
hoops00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #11
JUICE24
Post Ore

Originally Posted by Hagarty15 View Post
We had this called foul on us in NSA this weekend. I'm not sure I understand how it could be foul. If it hit anything else in foul territory and rolled into fair it would be a fair ball.... Worked in our favour anyways tho so.... no harm no foul.... Ya I said it.... Lol
How do you figure? When you hit something in foul territory and ends up fair because of the change in trajectory I believe it's a foul ball [IE runner on 3rd outside the foul line or the fence] Why the mat would be fair I'd assume if you hit a ball off the bottom of the bat and it spins forward without touching the batter/catcher/plate it would be fair in hardball no? Don't think i've seen many of these but I would assume cause the mat covers more then the plate the same idea applies
JUICE24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #12
Balser33
Seasoned Vet

Even if you hit the ball off foul ground and it spins into fair territory before crossing by 1st or 3rd base it's fair. if it starts fair or foul and goes foul before 1st or 3rd it's foul.