Softball Discussion Everything to do with softball

Share This Forum!  

Old 08-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
TMAC68
Attn Ore!

Central Player Registration

All;

I know this has been brought up a few times, but I was thinking about starting to run some Mens tournies here in the hammer next year (Prob NSA since we have yet to have a MENS NSA tourney in hamilton) and I got to thinking. What if we did this:

When a team applies for the tourney THEY HAVE TO SUBMIT THE ROSTER UP FRONT, No more of this crap where they get to hand it in after the first game. If they dont hand it in, they get placed in the highest offered division to deter coaches from trying to bag. So when the roster comes in, the tournament director plugs the names into a website running SQL or some other form of input software. The names get put in, first and last and some other trigger that can be used to weed out player with the same name such as using the address, DOB or phone number. If the player is ALREADY in the system, the ranking will be there too because along with the first input, there should be a field asking what division they are entered in. (If entered in D, that goes for Co-ed, Mens and ladies) so instead of ppl crying that such and such team is bagging, the players are what deciding factor is. So lets say my reds get enetered in a REC tourney cause I am using all my bench players and pickups that ARE rec yet this team is always in D it will be based on the players I have there not on the team. Where this can get dicy, we have to keep a history of all the tournies entered. Once entered in say 3 of a certain division, u are that level. I agree that playing 1 C tourney doesnt make u a C player. This will of course add about 1 hour of time to a directors day for say 16 rosters as typing in names really isnt that hard. Make it central so ALL 3 can enter in it and off we go. I know a good amount of programming and a good amount of programmers that this shouldnt be too hard nor should it cost too much money. This would make life so much easier for ppl running tournies, if the name isnt in the database, it gets entered, if it is, it gets checked. Then do spot checks of ID's at the tournament. clearly some ppl will slip thru and get missed, but it will get us all started and on the same page!!!

Thoughts? I dont really see this not helping the game.

Sales@integritysportswear.ca
https://www.facebook.com/IntegritySportswear/
TMAC68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
jsut
Rookie

Seems reasonable to me, and probably wouldn't be that hard to put together. The biggest complication is uniquely identifying people. This seems like something that that the sanctioning organizations should just do.

Not knowing how the tournies are run, if there are spreadsheets with teams/names etc you could probably build a thing to just import them automatically. No (more) typing needed.

Something like this could easily balloon into a huge, complicated project though, like a tournament/league management system / stats doodle. Really, this probably already exists somewhere, it's just not free.
jsut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
TMAC68
Attn Ore!

Originally Posted by jsut View Post
Seems reasonable to me, and probably wouldn't be that hard to put together. The biggest complication is uniquely identifying people. This seems like something that that the sanctioning organizations should just do.

Not knowing how the tournies are run, if there are spreadsheets with teams/names etc you could probably build a thing to just import them automatically. No (more) typing needed.

Something like this could easily balloon into a huge, complicated project though, like a tournament/league management system / stats doodle. Really, this probably already exists somewhere, it's just not free.
why would it ballon?

Its just simply used to compare. If there is a team entered with 14 ppl in D and 6 have played C all year, boom, the team is C...deal with it.

As I said, u will get the coaches that put fake names down and those coaches will be caught EVENTUALLY with spot checks of players.

Sales@integritysportswear.ca
https://www.facebook.com/IntegritySportswear/
TMAC68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
whatup
Seasoned Vet

Agreed i think this would definetly be a start. As for the cost thing, if TD's added $5 to every tourney entry, i am sure that that would offset the cost of running said database. Especially if all 3 orgs used this service. I have no problem with an extra $5 per team to start the process of rankings.
26oz Recoil ASA
whatup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
shmoo
Facebook Ninja

WHAT!?!?!?!?! No chance of the Shogun making an appearance?
Old 08-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Fence57
Seasoned Vet

Originally Posted by TMAC68 View Post
why would it ballon?

Its just simply used to compare. If there is a team entered with 14 ppl in D and 6 have played C all year, boom, the team is C...deal with it.

As I said, u will get the coaches that put fake names down and those coaches will be caught EVENTUALLY with spot checks of players.

You could make the coaches enter their rosters online, so it allieviates the data entry for a single person. Also, it's been a while since I played SPO provies, but I remember having to check-in, with photo ID a few years ago at SPC. If the roster is pre-loaded with names, DOBs and addresses, you'd be gtg.
Fence57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
jsut
Rookie

It *could* balloon, it doesn't have to. I just mean that there's a whole lot of the stuff that goes into running and competing in tournaments that could maybe benefit from being managed online.

a couple of scenarios:

You register your team online, add all your players, then some drop out for conflicts and you have to switch them around. go to the tournament site and change your roster.

After the tourney is over, go to the site and checkout stats for your team, and all the other teams.

See a name you don't recognize, click on it, see their entire tournament history including divisions / teams they played for, and their stats for each tourney, and in aggregate.

Those seem like they'd be cool things to me, though they are obviously going way above and beyond what you proposed, which is a good idea just by itself.

end tangent.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
bigroddy
Goderator

It *could* balloon, it doesn't have to. I just mean that there's a whole lot of the stuff that goes into running and competing in tournaments that could maybe benefit from being managed online.

a couple of scenarios:

You register your team online, add all your players, then some drop out for conflicts and you have to switch them around. go to the tournament site and change your roster.

After the tourney is over, go to the site and checkout stats for your team, and all the other teams.

See a name you don't recognize, click on it, see their entire tournament history including divisions / teams they played for, and their stats for each tourney, and in aggregate.

Those seem like they'd be cool things to me, though they are obviously going way above and beyond what you proposed, which is a good idea just by itself.

end tangent.
Similar to what the USSSA does to track their players.
bigroddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
jsut
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigroddy View Post
Similar to what the USSSA does to track their players.
At least someone is doing it. It would have kind of blown my mind if none of the big organizations have already done this kind of thing.

I just had a quick look at what they've got, and it looks pretty cool (though ugly as hell)

http://www.usssa.com/Sports/FindPlay...y.asp?PlaID=88
Old 08-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
adam
SFO Moderator

Rather than having to type up all this manually, have an online application where you need to put in players names, this way it'd be a cut and paste, or it would all be managed automatically.

Problem is getting something to stick, you can't use a DL# for everyone because of the number of people that don't drive, but I'm sure there's something else you could use? Health card / SIN, though I'm sure there's privacy issues with that...
Old 08-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
bigroddy
Goderator

At least someone is doing it. It would have kind of blown my mind if none of the big organizations have already done this kind of thing.

I just had a quick look at what they've got, and it looks pretty cool (though ugly as hell)

http://www.usssa.com/Sports/FindPlay...y.asp?PlaID=88
SPO tracks all submitted rosters as well...and cross checks them prior to provincials.
bigroddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
Ramrod9
Rookie

is there a way to give coaches / managers the responsibilities for uploading their own rosters?
saves the tourney convenors the time, so maybe that will make them more willing to get on board...

as a manager...i'd do it no problem.
RamRod #9
Ramrod9 is offline   Reply With Quote