Share This Forum!  

Old 12-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
Geezer000
Seasoned Vet

2019 Mizuno Crush 13"

I got a chance to swing the New 2019 Mizuno Crush in the grape flavour (13" barrel). I only swang the EL version so that is what my review will be based on.

Swing Weight
The swing weight has a slightly less endloaded feel than last years Crush probably due to the longer barrel. It feels just like the Original Nighthawk for weighting. It doesn't feel as tomahawk-ish as last years Crush.

Contact Feel
Now, I did like the EL Crush last year but the feel of the ball coming off the bat was a little off for me due to the fact that I hit more inside barrel than outside. If I hit the ball near the end of the barrel it felt great. The feel of the new 13" barrel was MUCH better for my swing. I didn't miss hit a single ball in the time I had with the bat. The barrel is crisp without feeling mushy (Black nighthawk) or woodsy (Mamba). The sound is also drastically better as well. Not harping on last years Crush but although it had great POP, it didn't have a great sound. I know a lot of people love a good sound to go with good performance so that's a plus. I also feel that the bat doesn't flex at the 2-piece joint as much as last years Crush. Feels more like the Black nighthawk in that area.

Overall
Overall, I loved the bat. Last year when i demo'd the 2018 Crush I came away with mixed feelings. There was such a drastic difference between the EL (to much) and Balanced (not balanced enough). So much so that both felt off for me. I started the year with the EL and then with the Balanced and ended up swinging my Mamba the rest of the year. That all changed with the 2019 Crush. The swing of the EL was Perfect. Lets call it a 3/4 load. Right were I like it. If someone would ask me for a sentence to best describe it it would be:

It marries the wonderful barrel of the original nighthawk with the great thin handle of the black nighthawk while sounding like a broken in Craze.

IMG_20181129_201438 by Jacob Giesbrecht, on Flickr

In Bat Bag:

27oz Crush EL
26oz Crush EL

Last edited by Geezer000; 12-02-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Geezer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
colin_d
Heavy Hitter

I had The chance to swing these last night. I swung both 27 El and balanced.
The Endloaded crush was my preference.
Not a crazy el but enough to whip through the zone, had a really nice swing weight in the 27oz I tried.
Barrel felt really nice and crisp, really different feel from mizzy this year.
Slim to no negative feedback in the hands.
Overall a really great stick from mizuno
26.5 Easton reckoning

11.75 Wilson EL3 A2000
11.75 Rawlings pro205WT-2NG
12.5 Wilson SP125
colin_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
TheShoe
Post Ore

I agree with a lot of what is said above. My experience is pretty similar so far.

Key notes for me on this year's vs previous....

Barrel --- Hotter from swing 1. Felt great at first demos out of wrap. Barrel had a nice open sweet spot feel and very forgiving. Hottest early on I've seen from them since they got into 2pc bats (for slowpitch). True 13" with a long taper to handle. Visually fine. Had no issues with making good contact and finding the sweet spot. Dead middle big sweet spot for me. Mishits still hjad juice on them (I rate bats highly for this nowadays - But if I eff up and mishit off center of etc, does it still have something behind it?)

Handle --- Geezer nailed it. Not as bendy as 2018 Crush, not as fat feeling as OG Nighthawk either. Had the nicer thinner feel of Black NH and Crush but attached to a much different barrel with better feel and pop to me.

Weights --- EL felt great to me. Just the right amount. 1/2oz feel or so. Nothing sledgy or over bearing. Very Harvey Legit like to me /// Bal was actually more true Bal from them for a change. This should appease many who've had the slightly loaded complaint about the Bal Mizzys.

It just felt good early on, and felt even better when trying the demo 27el again a week later. Had a few hit back at me while pitching that certainly had exit speed to show for it.

Key thing I am noticing early here on with this bat at demos --- People who never tried Mizuno are drawn to it. Colour and sound of others hitting it seems to get people picking it up, and the performance is there to garner positive pleasant reviews from users right now. A few friends who never liked Mizuno before were giving it repeat trials and several rounds worth of hits. Saying nothing but good things.

Mizuno loyals should be in for a treat...

I think they have a winner here. This should gain them some followers. I am curious to see now how durability and long term barrel performance and compression go. Seems like it starts much softer than anything Mizuno i'd hit before. More active, more barrel bounce, more pop. Whereas OG Nighthawk just had a soft thud, this has a soft barrel trampoline feel with a nice loud crack sound about it.
TheShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #4
BIRDMAN
www.ianjones.com

so would one say ( if you swung this bat ) does it have a soft barrel feel like the old Rusty Edition Frenzy 120 bats? I love my 2018 Mizzy's 95% used the EL version last year so the BAL version sits in the bag or others use it and like it. so this year might just get the EL version.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
TheShoe
Post Ore

I don't know about that bat sorry, and some may hate me for putting it like this, but they feel softer in a good Miken/Worth kinda of way.

And just like the above mentioned, the new Crush has a sound to it. Louder barrel crack like a Miken.

I'm telling it unbiased like it is... Like I said, some will hate my comparison, but I mean it in a VERY good way for them.

Originally Posted by BIRDMAN View Post
so would one say ( if you swung this bat ) does it have a soft barrel feel like the old Rusty Edition Frenzy 120 bats? I love my 2018 Mizzy's 95% used the EL version last year so the BAL version sits in the bag or others use it and like it. so this year might just get the EL version.

Last edited by TheShoe; 12-05-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #6
bluejay7
Post Ore

The 2019 Mizuno Crush has been getting much better reviews at Softball Gym this season so far.
Barrel is very forgiving and exit speeds are right up there with the top of the market.
The two barrel lengths offer much better variety and Mizuno has really improved upon what they built last year. Graphics are also much better this year than before. It will be an underrated bat due to brand name, but by the end of season should been seen much more frequently around the diamonds as more players will want these in their bags!
CPS/R+L Aftershock #7
Kahunaverse Sports Group
www.kahunaverse.com
Instagram: yak7_ksg
bluejay7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:37 AM   #7
Geezer000
Seasoned Vet

Originally Posted by bluejay7 View Post
The 2019 Mizuno Crush has been getting much better reviews at Softball Gym this season so far.
Barrel is very forgiving and exit speeds are right up there with the top of the market.
The two barrel lengths offer much better variety and Mizuno has really improved upon what they built last year. Graphics are also much better this year than before. It will be an underrated bat due to brand name, but by the end of season should been seen much more frequently around the diamonds as more players will want these in their bags!

Great to hear that bud! Glad everyone is enjoying them. Keep up the great work you guys do at the Softball Gym!

In Bat Bag:

27oz Crush EL
26oz Crush EL
Old 01-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
JP21
Heavy Hitter

There is an interesting thread on Softball Fans talking about how the Crush's are 35" inch (model 340439). regardless, i still cant wait to try one after all the positive reviews.

http://forums.softballfans.com/threa...usssa.1454838/
Old 01-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #9
Geezer000
Seasoned Vet

Originally Posted by JP21 View Post
There is an interesting thread on Softball Fans talking about how the Crush's are 35" inch (model 340439). regardless, i still cant wait to try one after all the positive reviews.

http://forums.softballfans.com/threa...usssa.1454838/

I measured mine and it's right on 34. The thing I don't like about that thread is that he didn't show the whole bat. For all we know the measurement is doctored.

In Bat Bag:

27oz Crush EL
26oz Crush EL
Old 01-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #10
JP21
Heavy Hitter

Originally Posted by Geezer000 View Post
I measured mine and it's right on 34. The thing I don't like about that thread is that he didn't show the whole bat. For all we know the measurement is doctored.
He's probably from Texas, everything is bigger in Texas

I couldn't see them releasing it at 35" tbh. I figured it's either a one off or he can't measure for sh!t
Old 01-28-2019, 09:20 PM   #11
andjayik
Seasoned Vet

http://forums.softballfans.com/threa...#post-19057112
2018 Easton Plague 26.5 oz
2018 DeMarini DDB4 Juggy OVL 27oz
andjayik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #12
TheShoe
Post Ore

That was an exclusive version they are discussing there.

I think it was repaint of last year, or maybe a new one but it's an exclusive.

And likely a one off with a QC issue.

Last edited by TheShoe; 01-30-2019 at 12:39 PM.