Softball Discussion Everything to do with softball





Share This Forum!  
 
        

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2018, 04:34 PM   #13
TheShoe
Post Ore
 
TheShoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Scarborough/North York
Posts: 2,417
Well the great news is the ladies gain a good ball that flies for them and not some POS.

Not much to figure out.

Pitcher has to deal with it and learn. His/her depth may change a bit from ball to ball. Less drag on the ladies seems for me I pitch it a bit deeper.

When you field on ladies and throw now, you have to remember it's a small ball when you transfer and throw. Good luck with this one, 6 years into this game and I still cuss the small ball when I play 3B on occasion.
TheShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #14
jaymurr
Rookie
 
jaymurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by TheShoe View Post
When you field on ladies and throw now, you have to remember it's a small ball when you transfer and throw. Good luck with this one, 6 years into this game and I still cuss the small ball when I play 3B on occasion.
This is one of the big reason my coed team left NSA for SPN. Even the girls hated fielding it.
jaymurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:35 AM   #15
fierce_gt
Post Ore
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,162
i fully support the IDEA behind this, but absolutely think this solution is terrible.

switching balls so that women can hit further is fine with me. imo, 10fielders with average 'bomb' going 250ft just doesn't give you much space. in all honesty, up to a certain point, the ladies who hit harder get out more often. it's 100% a placement game in our league.

that being said, you don't need to completely mess up the fielders by changing the ball size to do this. why not toss out an evil BP for the ladies. not only will it go 30ft farther, but it's clearly identifiable so nobody will forget to switch.

the one, and only time, i had to deal with this at a tournament i hated it. i'm sure those who deal with it regularly have adjusted, but it sure seemed like the probability of a woman getting beaned by a throw to first increased about 900% with the 11" ball.

and in all honesty, i felt there were more throwing errors with the 12" too, just because of the lack of consistency.
__________________
Bats:
fierce_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:17 AM   #16
robokill
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
i fully support the IDEA behind this, but absolutely think this solution is terrible.

switching balls so that women can hit further is fine with me. imo, 10fielders with average 'bomb' going 250ft just doesn't give you much space. in all honesty, up to a certain point, the ladies who hit harder get out more often. it's 100% a placement game in our league.
I see the same thing, the women seem to hit fly balls very frequently, and the results aren't good even on relative bombs. The "bunts" tend to work out better.

Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
that being said, you don't need to completely mess up the fielders by changing the ball size to do this. why not toss out an evil BP for the ladies. not only will it go 30ft farther, but it's clearly identifiable so nobody will forget to switch.

the one, and only time, i had to deal with this at a tournament i hated it. i'm sure those who deal with it regularly have adjusted, but it sure seemed like the probability of a woman getting beaned by a throw to first increased about 900% with the 11" ball.

and in all honesty, i felt there were more throwing errors with the 12" too, just because of the lack of consistency.
I hit baseballs, 11 inchers, 12" hot dots, 12" BP rockets, ultimate evils etc off the tee all time, there is an obvious difference, but I'm not sure it's so big that it's worth the trouble of constantly switching balls. A BP won't go 30 feet farther than a Hot Dot on a ~230' shot, assuming both are fairly new.
robokill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #17
dtych
Seasoned Vet
 
dtych's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 537
Tournament over and the small balls seemed pointless.

If anything I noticed much more pop ups overall for the girls as in I had more time to camp in the outfield when hit to me.
dtych is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lts bp balls, pants and a glove Combat25 Bats - Selling 15 08-20-2012 09:54 PM
League looking to bases and balls psteelers3680 Softball Discussion 8 02-02-2010 10:20 AM
SPO Equipment (Balls ) for next year Freak88 Softball Discussion 2 10-20-2009 07:05 PM
Evil BP Balls Review Catalystic Training Zone 6 08-13-2009 01:43 PM
NSA League Affiliation tank1973 NSA 3 02-21-2005 02:10 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.