Softball Discussion Everything to do with softball

Share This Forum!  

Old 04-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Hurk
Favourite Food

Lightbulb Hitting opposite - need some tips

Hey all, SFO Rookie here.

Looking for some techniques to try out before the season starts for hitting opposite field in Slo Pitch. I swing left and have watched a couple old 80's YouTube video's, but I'm not sure those will help.

I've played baseball all my life, and in hardball and fast pitch, hitting opposite was easy, I just can't get myself to not power through my swing and hit right field in Slo Pitch which I've only played a couple years.

Any suggestions, videos or techniques that may help?

TIA,
Your new buddy,
Hurk
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
bluejay7
Post Ore

Originally Posted by Hurk View Post

Looking for some techniques to try out before the season starts for hitting opposite field in Slo Pitch. I swing left and have watched a couple old 80's YouTube video's, but I'm not sure those will help.

I've played baseball all my life, and in hardball and fast pitch, hitting opposite was easy, I just can't get myself to not power through my swing and hit right field in Slo Pitch which I've only played a couple years.

TIA,
Your new buddy,
Hurk

Gotta hit the inside half of that ball. Keeping your hands inside longer than normal. Waiting on the ball to get a little deeper into the hitting zone will help with that.
CPS/R+L Aftershock #7
Kahunaverse Sports Group(Formerly Home Run Sports)
www.kahunaverse.com
Instagram: yak7_ksg
bluejay7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
ZR27
#lexxbeinglexx

both these guys below have played a ton of hardball, now slow pitch..
heres a couple videos with a bunch of oppo shots

ZR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
Hurk
Favourite Food

Originally Posted by bluejay7 View Post
Gotta hit the inside half of that ball. Keeping your hands inside longer than normal. Waiting on the ball to get a little deeper into the hitting zone will help with that.
That seems logical, and I can kind of visualize it. I'll try it out during my next BP.

One of the video's basically said I should bring my back foot behind my foot, then turn and hit. It looked awkward, but still might try it - see what works best for me.

Originally Posted by ZR27 View Post
both these guys below have played a ton of hardball, now slow pitch..
heres a couple videos with a bunch of oppo shots
Good hitters, I'm watching some of their vids.. not super useful but better than the 80's ones.
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
Snouglas 44
SFO Superstar

Stand comfortably, Matty B explained something to me that might resonate with you as a hardball player. Your footing usually stays the same, with your front foot slightly landing pointing backside. and let your hands come through the zone a little later.
Snouglas 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Arch Rival
-what-the-cutsm-

https://sites.google.com/site/mrcrus...opposite-field

try looking around more, but z27/b7 are generally spot on
Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
ZR27
#lexxbeinglexx

not super useful
can help a bit.. watch their footwork and shoulders
they are not just throwing their hands at the ball...
they are stepping in the direction of the field, shoulders aligned to the field as well ...
helps to generate more pop to the other side, and to drive the ball with more authority

also more deceptive, not turning your body

Last edited by ZR27; 04-17-2014 at 09:33 AM.
ZR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
Chudder
a.k.a. Momma Bird

TIA,
Your new buddy,
Hurk
I really dont subscribe to hitting the ball deep inside your body and going opposite field with the ball... Its very difficult to generate bat speed/power... the ball will tail off your ball like a bannana and you wont have the bat control or percision to hit the ball where you want it to go.. lastly when you do this your bat doesnt come through the zone parrallel to the ground so your margin for mistakes and mis hits increases....

SOOOOOO......

just like when youre playing catch, where ever your throwing the ball you step toward your target and drive through your throw... use that in your backside swing.... come off the plate step towards where you want to hit the ball and drive it there... hit the ball out front of your body just as if you were going to pull the ball... youll have more bat control, the bat comes through the zone parrallel to the ground so less miss hits... you wont get a side spin and have the ball bannana off the bat youll be able to put some back spin on it and drive the ball....
Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
Arch Rival
-what-the-cutsm-

Originally Posted by ZR27 View Post
can help a bit.. watch their footwork and shoulders
they are not just throwing their hands at the ball...
they are stepping in the direction of the field, shoulders aligned to the field as well ...
helps to generate more pop to the other side, and to drive the ball with more authority

also more deceptive, not turning your body
Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
vleemingj
Heavy Hitter

Originally Posted by Chudder View Post
I really dont subscribe to hitting the ball deep inside your body and going opposite field with the ball... Its very difficult to generate bat speed/power... the ball will tail off your ball like a bannana and you wont have the bat control or percision to hit the ball where you want it to go.. lastly when you do this your bat doesnt come through the zone parrallel to the ground so your margin for mistakes and mis hits increases....

SOOOOOO......

just like when youre playing catch, where ever your throwing the ball you step toward your target and drive through your throw... use that in your backside swing.... come off the plate step towards where you want to hit the ball and drive it there... hit the ball out front of your body just as if you were going to pull the ball... youll have more bat control, the bat comes through the zone parrallel to the ground so less miss hits... you wont get a side spin and have the ball bannana off the bat youll be able to put some back spin on it and drive the ball....
^^^Agreed!^^^ I would only add what helps me is to adjust your back foot slightly back and ahead to allow you to step in the direction you want to hit without stepping on the plate when swinging off field.
Sox #24
Lycans #24 - 2014 SPO Mens Prov. D Champs
Lycans #24 - 2017 SPN Mens Prov. C Champs
Hillcrest Redsox #2

Demarini Black-Ops
Miken DC41 - 26oz x 2
26.5 Pink Hall Legit
Vinci Custom 12.5"
Rawlings Trapper 12.5"
vleemingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
JUICE24
Post Ore

My opinion is close to reiterating what chudder mentioned. Best method is definitely striding in the direction and hitting through the ball. Unfortunately not every pitch is conducive to thay style. In my case when a pitcher thinks I'm going to push the ball to rf I typically see low inside pitches. The only real way to combat that issue imo is where you stand in the box. If you are up and off the plate you will increase the chances of seeing a strike you can push to the gap 10x over but if your not comfortable doing that the only way is letting the ball get further back in your zone and force it. The reason I don't do that is because it robs most of your power generation and you typically get a banana flare which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. If your thr type of hitter who knuckles up like hardball and rolls over the ball then thay method may work for you but if you are someone who's swing pattern is to cut and produce back spin you are gonna tail the ball right to the right fielder more often. Hence why I don't do that. Just my two cents
JUICE24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
number32
Post Ore

Choosing a pitch on the outer half of the plate will help also.
Don't try hitting an inside pitch outside. That will usually result in a tailing side spin. Often a weak fly ball.

As usual Chudder has it right (the guy is a beast) like throwing a ball or a punch point your body where you wanna go. It isnt gonna come first try so work on it in bp until you get it.

Www.dynamicsupplements.com
number32 is offline   Reply With Quote