Softball Discussion Everything to do with softball

Share This Forum!  

Old 09-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
electroleum
Rookie

Company Tournament Sketchiness

Has anyone else noticed that it is almost impossible to compete/run a company tournament without some form of shadiness occurring on some level? Doesn't even matter what sport...there's always something fishy going on.

We just had our company softball tournament (Alberta region RBC tournament), and there was definitely some shady business being done by the team that the organizers were on.

For starters, their team was stacked. Not one weak player on their team, and I'd be surprised if half of them were employees (one rule was at least 50% RBC staff). The two main organizers are both branch managers, and one of them used to work here at my branch. I wouldn't put it past him to "hire" a few ringers right before the weekend of the tournament and then just dismiss them afterwards. Obviously I have no way of confirming that...but the thought does cross my mind.

Secondly, it turns out that they may have forced one of their opponents to be disqualified for a rule that wasn't even listed on the rule sheet. There was a couple on one team that couldn't make it to the games on Sunday, so that team replaced the couple with a 60 y/o guy and a 14 y/o girl...and they were DQ'd because "they used players that were not on their Saturday roster". There is not a single thing that mentions that being a rule on the sheet they emailed around. So long as what I have heard is true...that's pretty sad.

All this dodginess made me think...every company sporting event I've ever competed in ended up like this in some way. If it's a golf tournament, one team will be a group of scratch golfers. If it's a softball or hockey tournament, one team will bring in a bunch of ringers.

It almost makes me want to take some psychology classes just to try and learn why some people feel the need to do whatever it takes to win at these events. What good can come of it? People always notice.

Anyone else notice these kinds of things at their company outings?
electroleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
WTP
Post Ore

this is why people are discourage to attend these work outing.... it isn't fun for everyone when some people try all means to win....
WTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
bigroddy
Goderator

Originally Posted by WTP View Post
this is why people are discourage to attend these work outing.... it isn't fun for everyone when some people try all means to win....
Depends...can you get hammered on the company dime? Cuz that's always fun
bigroddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
Bigredz75
Heavy Hitter

in my work golf tournies i ask the hot girl in the office to pair up, cause she always good for some wiggles threw out the day
Bigredz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
A.M.
Ice Queen

What I've learned: Don't play company ball.
A.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #6
WTP
Post Ore

Originally Posted by bigroddy View Post
Depends...can you get hammered on the company dime? Cuz that's always fun
you must work for one of the beer companies.... from what I heard, they wine, dine, limo and hotel all their employee at company functions...
WTP is offline   Reply With Quote