Softball Discussion Everything to do with softball

Share This Forum!  

Old 08-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #1
dtych
Seasoned Vet

League using two different sized balls for tournament

Our league execs have decided on their own to use a 11" ball when girls are batting and a 12" ball while males are batting. To me this concept is out of this world????

Has anyone every experienced this? Or is this some foreign crazy idea????

There was no league vote, just an email from the execs saying this is what is happening.
dtych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
TheShoe
Post Ore

Pretty common over here in Ontario my man, mostly in NSA from my experience.

Seen it in SPO/SPN as well and dome ball.

Just wish when they give the 11" they use the Green Dots.

One of my leagues gives the ladies a 11", but a 52cor 300 Hot Dot just like the mens. (honestly makes zero sense and no real advantage - The ladies hit the 11" and 12" 52/300 the same damn distance, if not making better contact consistently with the 12")

Why do the ladies get shafted and not hit the Super Series and tournament ball like the men are?

Would love to see the ladies in our league pick up a bit of pop and put that damn fence within reach to them personally like it would and should be with a green dot.

FWIW - Green dot is a 44/375 so much closer to a small Gold Dot vs mens ball being 52/300 soft Hot Dots.

The only other piss off to the ball switch is when you are making a play and go to throw and the small ball throws you for a loop LOL

Last edited by TheShoe; 08-08-2018 at 11:55 AM.
TheShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
bdemarco
Rookie

Yeah I've heard of that as well. In fact the border battle did just that, 11" green dot for ladies, 12" hot dot for mens.
bdemarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
dtych
Seasoned Vet

Originally Posted by bdemarco View Post
Yeah I've heard of that as well. In fact the border battle did just that, 11" green dot for ladies, 12" hot dot for mens.
I don't recall seeing co-ed at the border battle.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #5
bigmcquizel
Seasoned Vet

Very common in NSA leagues here in Calgary. I hate throwing it. Feels too little. I've thrown my fair share in the dirt lol. I will say this though. Some of the ladies here absolutely crush that little ball

In The Bag:
2015 26oz Worth Ressy Legit
2014 27oz Easton L1
bigmcquizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
TheShoe
Post Ore

They giving them the 11" Green Dot there? Or a 44/375 of sorts?

Originally Posted by bigmcquizel View Post
Very common in NSA leagues here in Calgary. I hate throwing it. Feels too little. I've thrown my fair share in the dirt lol. I will say this though. Some of the ladies here absolutely crush that little ball
Old 08-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
bdemarco
Rookie

Originally Posted by dtych View Post
I don't recall seeing co-ed at the border battle.
Me either. I did mean to say there was two different sized balls used at the border battle in reference to TheShoe's post.
bdemarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
TheShoe
Post Ore

I referenced Super Series for this reason, and its been my argument since we moved away from 40/375 12" balls and harder ladies balls....

The men hit the 52/300 just like an SPO Hot Dot or any other Hot Dot we'd find in tournament ball out there.

Meanwhile, the ladies in this league are subject to a crappier ball than anywhere else they'd play with the 11" balls.

Example - My GF plays a ladies league (SPN) and they use 11" Green Dot, and in her occasional tournies, she gets to hit the same Green Dot or equivalent comparable. Her and a friend of ours they mash this ball. It's fun and it closes the distance gap IMHO.

Then we go to a league with a deeper fence then their ladies league, and they are subject to a softer ball with less pop than even the elite players and tournaments offer in ladies ball.

That's why I say they get the shaft. So much so, there is almost no reason for the ball swap. Sure it's smaller, but it's the same core and compression. The extra flight and pop is not there like it is when you have the Mens Hot Dot and Ladies Green Dot set up.

If you're gunna throw the 11" ball into the mix, let the ladies hit the good one and the same one being gamed at elite levels and events.

That's just my opinion. A few years back the balls were more in line with my logic and it was more fun. Ladies would hit some nice shots out there, burn fielders, take a guy to the track etc. Now it just seems like they air mail everything to the outfielders mitts coming up well short of the fence on GREAT hits.

I would just like to see them have the advantage it is supposed to give them is all.

Originally Posted by bdemarco View Post
Me either. I did mean to say there was two different sized balls used at the border battle in reference to TheShoe's post.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #9
JP21
Heavy Hitter

very common here in Ontario and very annoying for the pitcher always switching balls
Old 08-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
TheShoe
Post Ore

Always gotta step back a yard or two with the smaller ball I find or I nuke it down the middle too deep to nick the board if I stand in the same spot as where I chucked the 12" from

Originally Posted by JP21 View Post
very common here in Ontario and very annoying for the pitcher always switching balls
Old 08-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #11
Codster
Rookie

Been doing this in Alberta for years now.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #12
dtych
Seasoned Vet

We are trying it out for a tournament this weekend.

11" green dots being used for the females