Off Topic Banter Anything unrelated to softball. Come and yak it up.

Share This Forum!  

Old 08-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
flex_y2k
Seasoned Vet

Canseco: There’s A Juicer In The Hall Of Fame

“When you tell me something I didn't already know, I'll be surprised,” said Jose Canseco to ESPN, after yesterday’s revelations about David Ortiz’s name being on the list of players who tested positive during the supposedly-anonymous 2003 survey.

“And I'll tell you this,” he said. “Major League Baseball is going to have a big, big problem on their hands when they find out they have a Hall of Famer who's used.”

“When asked to name who that Hall of Fame player is,” the report said, “Canseco refused to divulge who he believes it is.”

(Note:

It continued:

"It's not about naming names," he said. "I've never had anything against the players. It's always been against Major League Baseball. I know who's on that list, but like I said, it's not about attacking the players. It's about the machine that allowed this to happen. What I speak out of my mouth is the truth. It burns like fire. Just remember, I have never lied about this subject."

In Canseco's book, "Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'roids and Smash Hits and How Baseball Got Big," he detailed what he called the game's rampant use of performance-enhancing drugs. He was initially vilified, but most of his allegations subsequently have proved to be true.

At the time, in 2005, Canseco said he believed 80 percent of big league players were using some substance to enhance their statistics. He since has amended that number.

"If you were in the game in the last 20 years, there's a 95 percent chance you were knowingly using something,'' Canseco said. "I said 80 percent back then because that was the number of players that I knew were on. But that number was greater.''

About that last bit, Deadspin nails it, saying that “this translates roughly to, ‘That number I pulled out of my ass a few years back is smaller than the number I'm pulling out of my ass right now.’” Fair point, and call me a sucker, but I actually kind of liked Juiced, and even felt sympathy for Jose after reading it—and not just because it was written at about a third-grade level. And the fact that so much of what he said turned out to be true—and that he’s absolutely 100% bang on when he says stuff like “it's not about attacking the players, it's about the machine that allowed this to happen” (even though he’s brought more names into this scandal that just about anyone, save George Mitchell)—makes me kinda like the guy even more.

But… well… even though I’m in complete agreement with the idea that exposing this stuff is more about the machine that allowed it to happen, and not the players caught up in it, I don’t know if I can resist wondering who Jose might be referring to when he says that there’s a Hall of Famer who was on the juice. I feel like I’m risking anal rape by Kenny Ken Ken Rosenthal just for thinking it, but I’m going to point something out anyway…

Now, this obviously isn’t to say that any of these guys did anything—Canseco is probably full of ****, and how the hell would I know anyway?—it’s just curious to take a look at the Hall Of Famers Canseco actually played with, and who he’d therefore probably have the most intimate knowledge of. Canseco, if his own description is to be believed, was like the pied piper of steroids, so it’s pretty easy to figure that, if Jose was around, the topic might have up.

Of course, baseball’s inner circle is pretty tight, so someone certainly doesn’t at all have to be teammates with someone to know him. Still, unless I’m missing someone, as of right now there are four guys in the Hall who were once teammates of Canseco’s. Reggie Jackson (Oakland, 1987), Rickey Henderson (Oakland, 1989-1992), Nolan Ryan (Texas, 1992-1993) and Wade Boggs (Tampa, 1999).

Unlike the superstars of the late 90s, if it was actually one of those guys—and I’m not at all saying I think it is, Ken, though I’m sure some crackpot could find a way to argue that there’s reason to suspect any one of them, just like you could argue the same for just about any player over the last 25 years—for a lot of baseball fans, like myself, who have become numb to steroid revelations, it would a far bigger punch to the gut. And one can’t help but wonder if one day Canseco will get desperate enough to throw this mystery person, if he even exists, under the bus...
go5, Ironhead66, dave2525, Medic16, TML FNATK, RT,
number32, Bad Butch, Puppy, Asian Legend, ozo974, Cease, the5abes.
flex_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
RT
Post Ore

re: Juiced "and not just because it was written at about a third-grade level" - so true...haha.

I thought the whole hall of famer comment was interesting too, I'm guessing he's referring to Rickey given the timing of that statement.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
flex_y2k
Seasoned Vet

Originally Posted by rt1617 View Post
re: Juiced "and not just because it was written at about a third-grade level" - so true...haha.

I thought the whole hall of famer comment was interesting too, I'm guessing he's referring to Rickey given the timing of that statement.
I think it's Ricky too!!
go5, Ironhead66, dave2525, Medic16, TML FNATK, RT,
number32, Bad Butch, Puppy, Asian Legend, ozo974, Cease, the5abes.
flex_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Deuce
Combat™

i personally feel of those 4 guys it is nolen ryan. Ryan was still hitting close to 100mph at the end of his years. Yet roger on the juice was not even close.throwing a ball that hard for that long is impossiable with out help....there are 100's of pitchers that can prove that.

Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
RT
Post Ore

you could be right, and at this point any name wouldn't surprise me. I just would be less "shocked" if it was Rickey. That A's clubhouse just seemed to be a breeding ground for drug use, but everywhere Jose went seemed to be the same.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
tommygunn
Rookie

Canseco has said in the past he has no knowledge of Rickey ever using. Most recently in a July 30th interview with Mike Missanelli. Who knows though..
tommygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
Deuce
Combat™

i would hate to see it but ripken had to be on something as well...his is the hardest record in the game and will never be touched again.

Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
RT
Post Ore

Originally Posted by tommygunn View Post
Canseco has said in the past he has no knowledge of Rickey ever using. Most recently in a July 30th interview with Mike Missanelli. Who knows though..
I hadn't heard that, but then again, Rickey could have used his whole career and he might not have had any "knowledge" of it...he's an interesting person
Old 08-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
RT
Post Ore

let's just get the names out, once and for all. Wasn't the Mitchell report supposed to be the defining document of this era and lead the path to absolution for the players involved? Instead, here we are years later and names are still coming out...we all know that players were using, we didn't care/turned a blind eye and now let's just get it out in the open and deal with it.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
Monty
#22 Canucks

as big of a douche as canseco is i think he's telling the truth on all of this. if he wasn't why wouldn't everyone sue the crap out of him for libel and slander.
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
Ironhead66
E-Train

Without a doubt it's Henderson. The guy was jacked in the late 80's and 90's.

Skinny in the 70's and 80's

Suddenly he's back with Canseco and McGwire and he's jacked:

Old 08-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
bdehaan
Summer Sizzler

There is more then 1 HOF that has taken roids. MLB needs to cut out this stupid game. But im guessing there doing it to keep people interested.

http://www.summersizzlerseries.com - WEBSITE IS LIVE - accepting registration
bdehaan is offline   Reply With Quote