Share This Forum!  

Old 05-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #1
Legend 94
Post Ore

Freak 12 Reviews

OK I finally got out to hit the Freak 12 tonight and since there's been questions on multiple threads about this bat on other threads I thought I'd try to consolidate the answers starting a thread simply for reviews of the Freak 12.

First thing I will confirm is the Freak 12 is literally a Freak Black with a 12" barrel. This is where ai find the similarity between the two ends The Freak 12 has a heavier swing weight than the same weight Freak Black but doesn't have the sledge hammer endload that the DC41 does. The Freak 12 has the maxload .5oz endload, swings very smooth and I found it to be quick through the zone. From swing one I noticed the Freak 12 didn't have the ping sound the Black and the DCs have for the first bunch of swings. Finding the sweetspot on the Freak 12 wasn't an issue but the smaller sweetspot on this bat is definitely less forgiving than a Freak Black and hitting that consistently improved with more swings.. I can tell you that when you find that sweetspot you're rewarded immediately with the exit speed and distance off of this bat definitely exceeding what I found with the Freak Black, DC41 and even the Resmondo Legit.

Time will tell but I think that if you are willing to commit to this Freak 12 (ie. put down the other toys and just swing this bat) that it will respond well and quite consistently. It really reminded me of my initial experiences with a PST back before the days of the composites. The PST was the bat to have back then and it will be interesting to see if the Freak 12 will be the "go to bat" for 2015.

Legend 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:27 AM   #2
captain_pred
Slopitch Catcher

Originally Posted by Legend 94 View Post
OK I finally got out to hit the Freak 12 tonight and since there's been questions on multiple threads about this bat on other threads I thought I'd try to consolidate the answers starting a thread simply for reviews of the Freak 12.

First thing I will confirm is the Freak 12 is literally a Freak Black with a 12" barrel. This is where ai find the similarity between the two ends The Freak 12 has a heavier swing weight than the same weight Freak Black but doesn't have the sledge hammer endload that the DC41 does. The Freak 12 has the maxload .5oz endload, swings very smooth and I found it to be quick through the zone. From swing one I noticed the Freak 12 didn't have the ping sound the Black and the DCs have for the first bunch of swings. Finding the sweetspot on the Freak 12 wasn't an issue but the smaller sweetspot on this bat is definitely less forgiving than a Freak Black and hitting that consistently improved with more swings.. I can tell you that when you find that sweetspot you're rewarded immediately with the exit speed and distance off of this bat definitely exceeding what I found with the Freak Black, DC41 and even the Resmondo Legit.

Time will tell but I think that if you are willing to commit to this Freak 12 (ie. put down the other toys and just swing this bat) that it will respond well and quite consistently. It really reminded me of my initial experiences with a PST back before the days of the composites. The PST was the bat to have back then and it will be interesting to see if the Freak 12 will be the "go to bat" for 2015.
Nice review and personally it kind of confirms what I was thinking for me and this bat. I couldn't hit the pst to save my soul back in the day but the freak and I were on the same page. Odds are the black and last years DC are where I should lean to
Old 05-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
HPower
Rookie

Brad is bang on to what I have been noticing since breaking my F12 out of the wrapper a few weeks ago.
I am a smaller guy and can only dream of hitting as hard as Brad but the 12 does seem to have better exit speed than either my 100 hit Black and my 800+ hit White DC.
I initially went with a 25oz and it doesn't feel any lighter than my 26oz Black.

I just ordered a 26oz F12 to see how that compares.

Brad have you had your F12 compression tested yet?

27oz Combat G5. 2pc
27oz Miken Freak 30
26oz Dudley Lightening 12EL
27oz Miken PT Balanced
27oz Miken Freakshow Balanced
Wilson A2K 1799
Wilson A2000 1799 SS_HR
HPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
Hurk
Favourite Food

Exactly my findings as well. I like the better than the Black, but my bud who likes a more balanced bat likes the Freak Black better.

For what it's worth, our 27oz weighed in at 27.40oz fresh out of the wrapper.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
knechtel41
Seasoned Vet

Well said Brad. I put some swings on it as well last night.

Was heavier than what I'm used to as i swing a 26 in the Black and Brad has a 27 in the 12. The feel of the 12" barrel coming through the zone is awesome. When you get it on the sweet spot it is very explosive.

Hard to say if i was getting better distance as i wasn't swinging my weight but it was definitely jumping off the bat.

If you like the smaller barrel then this bat will be great for you. I liked the bat but will not switch from the Freak Black as i need more barrel to work with when base hitting and stick handling through the inf.

I would say that any 12" barrel bat will not be great for everyone because they are harder to hit consistently. If you can get locked in with one it will reward you but likely need to put some good time into it before that happens.

KK
Old 05-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
Legend 94
Post Ore

I'll get it compression tested next weekend and see how it fairs...

My 27oz scaled at 27.3 oz My 2 27oz Freak Blacks both came in at 26.7 oz on my digital scale...

Legend 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
Hurk
Favourite Food

Originally Posted by ezlatic View Post
couple questions:

-would the F12 swing similar and have a similar sweetspot as a 100h? (sweetspot towards the endcap)

-do the F12 also come with the new smaller knob of the new miken line
It has the same knob. I don't know about the 100h.

We tried it fresh during a 10*C game, and it wasn't super hot or anything - but later at a BP it was opening up better in the warmer weather. I'm still gaming my Guilt & Orange Assault 4, as I hit better - but the F12 really does feel nice.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:05 AM   #8
HPower
Rookie

I'll get it compression tested next weekend and see how it fairs...
Ya, me to.
With all the talk on SBF about this years Mikens not passing testing after not many cuts has me a little worried.
I was going to stop hitting my F12 until next weekend but it has been difficult to put down.

27oz Combat G5. 2pc
27oz Miken Freak 30
26oz Dudley Lightening 12EL
27oz Miken PT Balanced
27oz Miken Freakshow Balanced
Wilson A2K 1799
Wilson A2000 1799 SS_HR
HPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
TMAC68
Attn Ore!

Originally Posted by HPower View Post
Ya, me to.
With all the talk on SBF about this years Mikens not passing testing after not many cuts has me a little worried.
I was going to stop hitting my F12 until next weekend but it has been difficult to put down.
I haven't seen many fail. Last weekend, Connells failed, but again it's based on the balls u bp with.

Sales@integritysportswear.ca
https://www.facebook.com/IntegritySportswear/
TMAC68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:59 PM   #10
Sharpie85
Heavy Hitter

It seems like mine has officially broken in... this bat is fire! Ping is gone sounds more like wood with every hit and miss hits are less noticeable. I have a freak black on the way so will have to get that broken in to compare side by side.
Sharpie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #11
pt#2
Heavy Hitter

I only heard of one Connell failing. I spoke with Bully who was doing the testing and other then a very few of the new stamp bats he said the majority of things failing were the previous years. I've hit the hell out of my Connell's with pretty hard balls all winter and spring and came in at 245 and 250. I think the majority of talk about any of the newer bats failing has been largely blown out of proportion.

http://www.worthsports.com
PT Brewins #2
pt#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:01 AM   #12
Stevens
Rookie

I got to unwrap my 27oz Freak12 last night scale weight was 27.3oz. Bat felt amazing in my hands, even better once I coned the handle. The swing weight through the zone is what made me fall in love does it ever come through nice, not that sludge hammer feel. Sound was like a DC our of the wrapper pop was good but could tell it was getting better with every hit. Can't wait to get more swings on this stick.
Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote