Share This Forum!  

Old 05-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
myPod
Rookie

My thoughts on my new Rodriguez glove

So my Rdz just arrived in the mail. The model number is RDZ-4C but with a petate web instead of the standard 4C web. I will probably update this thread a few times with my thoughts on the glove, in case anyone is considering buying. I'm going to remain as unbiased as I can. Here are the stock photos of my glove:
http://imgur.com/Py6p4.png
http://imgur.com/Qjyad.png
http://imgur.com/Odcnh.png

I'm just going to post things off top of my head.

Initial thoughts/observations:
-Shipping was on time to the DAY. Website says 6-8 weeks for delivery, I asked David to have it in 4 weeks and I had it in 26 days or so. Perfect!
-I had to pay $11 for customs fees (UPS)
-The chocolate brown looks much richer and more beautiful in person than the bland color shown on the pictures
-This glove is STIFF! I couldn't close it at all at first but after working it a little it's becoming better
-It is probably the most uncomfortable glove I've ever worn. The index-finger hole is too long and the tip of my finger barely reaches past the hole to the actual glove. The fingers are very tight but not in a good way. There is no padding in the fingers and it feels like leather-covered cardboard squeezing tightly on my fingers. The thumb loop is at a weird angle and is making the glove awkward to wear. It feels like my hand doesn't go in as far as it's supposed to. I'm bummed about this and I hope it loosens to fit my hand. I have small hands (medium batting gloves) and I can't imagine this would work for big hands.
-The power strap is nice but the leather on the "inside end" isn't long enough. When I pull the strap tight some of the purple covering that you normally don't see gets pulled through the hole and is visible and it looks like shoddy work
-Tightening the power strap makes a minor difference, I'd like for it to be able to squeeze tighter on my wrist. Power strap at full "pressure" isn't much different from the power strap completely undone.
-I put a little glove oil in the palm and rubbed it with some tissue. Noticed that brown dye went onto the tissue from the glove. I got a bit worried and stopped immediately. It's oil with lanolin (glovolium) and should be fine for this glove. I think I'll be beating it in without any products besides a bit of sweat

More thoughts after my first practice with the glove:
I managed to work the glove for about 30 minutes before using it in a BP/catch session for a couple hours

-Really, really uncomfortable to use. I expect the glove to be tight and stiff but this is painful. Really hope it loosens up in the fingers. Let a friend put it in and he mentioned the same issue
-Looks awesome compared to gloves of the same cost (Mizuno/Rawlings etc). I was looking at friends' gloves and they just don't compare. Mine isn't even a flashy color scheme but it stands out.
-No drops when the ball hit the web. This petate web is awesome and just sucked some of the balls in. Really awesome snap noise off hard liners
-Caught some balls that I'd miss with my old 12.5". Seems like with the way that this glove is designed, balls that touch the tip of the glove tend to role down as opposed to out. This means you catch them instead of them bouncing out. There were a couple high liners that I was really surprised to catch, given that I can't yet close the glove. It really sucks in the balls
-Weight is average. It's not light and it's not heavy. It's really about the same weight as other gloves I've used
-Padding in the glove seems great for cushioning the ball from your hand. Padding in the fingers, again, is lacking.

Initial pros/cons
Pros:
-Sexy looking
-Well crafted
-Well designed (web)

Cons
-Very uncomfortable, really lacking padding in the fingers
-It just doesn't fit like a glove should
-Glovolium removed glove dye
-Embroidery is mediocre quality

Overall: 7/10
If the glove fits my hand better after use this will eventually be around 8.5. The lack of finger padding will never fix itself and I consider this a big deal.
myPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Dirtydog
Post Ore

MyPod, PM sent... Found out from David this was sold without a rep... his hands have been slapped and I will fix ya up...
Dirtydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
damnlukeman
Shv a Cat nt a Bat

Great customer service right there
damnlukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
ray_mich
Seasoned Vet

Originally Posted by myPod View Post
So my Rdz just arrived in the mail. The model number is RDZ-4C but with a petate web instead of the standard 4C web. I will probably update this thread a few times with my thoughts on the glove, in case anyone is considering buying. I'm going to remain as unbiased as I can. Here are the stock photos of my glove:

-Shipping was on time to the DAY. Website says 6-8 weeks for delivery, I asked David to have it in 4 weeks and I had it in 26 days or so. Perfect!
-The chocolate brown looks much richer and more beautiful in person than the bland color shown on the pictures
-This glove is STIFF! I couldn't close it at all at first but after working it a little it's becoming better
-It is probably the most uncomfortable glove I've ever worn. The index-finger hole is too long and the tip of my finger barely reaches past the hole to the actual glove. The fingers are very tight but not in a good way. There is no padding in the fingers and it feels like leather-covered cardboard squeezing tightly on my fingers. The thumb loop is at a weird angle and is making the glove awkward to wear. It feels like my hand doesn't go in as far as it's supposed to. I'm bummed about this and I hope it loosens to fit my hand. I have small hands (medium batting gloves) and I can't imagine this would work for big hands.
-The power strap is nice but the leather on the "inside end" isn't long enough. When I pull the strap tight some of the purple covering that you normally don't see gets pulled through the hole and is visible and it looks like shoddy work
-Tightening the power strap makes a minor difference, I'd like for it to be able to squeeze tighter on my wrist. Power strap at full "pressure" isn't much different from the power strap completely undone.
-I put a little glove oil in the palm and rubbed it with some tissue. Noticed that brown dye went onto the tissue from the glove. I got a bit worried and stopped immediately. It's oil with lanolin (glovolium) and should be fine for this glove. I think I'll be beating it in without any products besides a bit of sweat

I managed to work the glove for about 30 minutes before using it in a BP/catch session for a couple hours

-Really, really uncomfortable to use. I expect the glove to be tight and stiff but this is painful. Really hope it loosens up in the fingers. Let a friend put it in and he mentioned the same issue
-Looks awesome compared to gloves of the same cost (Mizuno/Rawlings etc). I was looking at friends' gloves and they just don't compare. Mine isn't even a flashy color scheme but it stands out.
-No drops when the ball hit the web. This petate web is awesome and just sucked some of the balls in. Really awesome snap noise off hard liners
-Caught some balls that I'd miss with my old 12.5". Seems like with the way that this glove is designed, balls that touch the tip of the glove tend to role down as opposed to out. This means you catch them instead of them bouncing out. There were a couple high liners that I was really surprised to catch, given that I can't yet close the glove. It really sucks in the balls
-Weight is average. It's not light and it's not heavy. It's really about the same weight as other gloves I've used
-Padding in the glove seems great for cushioning the ball from your hand. Padding in the fingers, again, is lacking.

Initial pros/cons
Pros:
-Sexy looking
-Well crafted
-Well designed (web)

Cons

If the glove fits my hand better after use this will eventually be around 8.5. The lack of finger padding will never fix itself and I consider this a big deal.
I totally agree with you about the power strap looking shoddy (with the material pulling through the hole) and not very functional. My glove does this also.
I think Rdz needs to change the design of the strap to make it work the way it should.
With that being said, I really like my Rdz 018 though. It was stiff as hell but seems to be breaking in fine just by playing catch and keeping a ball wrapped in it ( the colour also is coming off my glove and making the ball I use in it, stain). So far it still looks good though......
ray_mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
Ditch Doctor
Seasoned Vet

MyPod, if it means anything, mine took a bit for me to really really like. It looked great right from the start but it wasn't love at first use. I love it now, so stick with it. Good luck.

Foisy
Ditch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
okeman
Post Ore

Initial pros/cons
Pros:
-Sexy looking
-Well crafted
-Well designed (web)

Cons

we all need to take notes on this review, well said my friend,

our reviews "this glove is sick" rdz and the boyz are G2G lol
okeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
Deuce
Combat™

-It is probably the most uncomfortable glove I've ever worn. The index-finger hole is too long and the tip of my finger barely reaches past the hole to the actual glove. The fingers are very tight but not in a good way. There is no padding in the fingers and it feels like leather-covered cardboard squeezing tightly on my fingers. The thumb loop is at a weird angle and is making the glove awkward to wear. It feels like my hand doesn't go in as far as it's supposed to. I'm bummed about this and I hope it loosens to fit my hand. I have small hands (medium batting gloves) and I can't imagine this would work for big hands.-The power strap is nice but the leather on the "inside end" isn't long enough. When I pull the strap tight some of the purple covering that you normally don't see gets pulled through the hole and is visible and it looks like shoddy work

Initial pros/cons
Pros:
-Sexy looking
-Well crafted
-Well designed (web)

Cons

believe it or not, we have traced a persons hand and made the glove to fit....we have some girls who have the smallest hands on earth and we have made a glove for them....dirty will look after ya, just another example of how dealing with a rep is a good idea...

Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Dirtydog
Post Ore

MyPod - PM sent, I think I can get you fixed-up.
Dirtydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
shmoo
Facebook Ninja

Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
believe it or not, we have traced a persons hand and made the glove to fit....we have some girls who have the smallest hands on earth and we have made a glove for them....dirty will look after ya, just another example of how dealing with a rep is a good idea...
Deuce, are you cheating on Rip-it's tiny hands?
Old 05-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
ecdragon
Seasoned Vet

- what size is this glove? it looks HUGE on you, maybe that's why u have control/ index finger/sizing issue?

- how much was the glove?

- what you mentioned about 'after your first practice' how much is the glove and how much is the style of your fielding? I can make snap sounds with any glove i use. it depends on how you catch the ball.

- i thought the thumb loop is adjustable? or is it built completely in the wrong place.

i don't have a RDZ but i'm into custom gloves/higher end gloves and haven't been sold yet by the pics and reviews....

also notice the custom lettering is not that nice... looks very out of place

i'd like to hear a comparison between these vs. a Rawlings HOH/Pro Preferred or wilson A2000
i'd imagine all custom gloves would be better than the sub $ 120 retail gloves out there.
ecdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
myPod
Rookie

Alright, been speaking with DirtyDog and he is a very understanding guy. I can tell he has my best interests in mind and he is gonna take care of me. Big thumbs up and I'll be posting more on this later!

Originally Posted by ecdragon View Post
- what size is this glove? it looks HUGE on you, maybe that's why u have control/ index finger/sizing issue?

- what you mentioned about 'after your first practice' how much is the glove and how much is the style of your fielding? I can make snap sounds with any glove i use. it depends on how you catch the ball.

- i thought the thumb loop is adjustable? or is it built completely in the wrong place.

i don't have a RDZ but i'm into custom gloves/higher end gloves and haven't been sold yet by the pics and reviews....

also notice the custom lettering is not that nice... looks very out of place

i'd like to hear a comparison between these vs. a Rawlings HOH/Pro Preferred or wilson A2000
i'd imagine all custom gloves would be better than the sub $ 120 retail gloves out there.
-what size is this glove? it looks HUGE on you
It's a 13" and that isn't me in the picture. I assume that's the guy that made the glove. The glove doesn't feel too big on me and I actually like the size a lot

I paid $145+shipping, I believe total was ~$165 + $11 UPS custom's fee

The thumb loop is adjustable and it does work a little better for me after playing with it. It's still not perfect but DirtyDog is looking into this!

This was just something I felt like mentioning, the snap sound is awesome as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't really mean anything, I just caught the balls well in the petate web and it was satisfying

-also notice the custom lettering is not that nice... looks very out of place
Not sure about this one. I think they made my initials bigger since it's only 2 letters. Most of the embroidery that I've seen is longer names and they look nice. Up close might be a different story, but who knows! I also prefer the scripted embroidery.

If you have any more questions just let me know
myPod is offline   Reply With Quote