Share This Forum!  

Old 03-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
crush23
SFO Superstar

Mizuno nighthawk reviews??

Haven't seen many reviews. Anyone have any reviews they'd like to share?
A2000
Bag of Spitz
crush23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
jethro
1992-1993 4 ever

FRom SBF

2017 Nighthawk 27BAL approximately 2-300hits

First off (no excuses i know....), this was only my second time swinging this winter so it took me a while to loosen up. My first round was with the Bal Nighthawk and it didn't disappoint. Last years balanced was good but the weighting was a little weird. It felt very barrel heavy for a balanced bat. It just didn't swing through very well for me. The 2017 felt MUCH better in the weighting. It actually feels like a true balanced bat now, much like the Worth Connell from last year. It came through the zone great. Once I got my timing down the barrel felt just like last years, nice and responsive but not to soft with a massive sweet spot that lends to almost always making good contact. I thought that the thinner handle was going to add more of a end-load feel to the bat but Mizuno did a great job making it swing more balanced. I did notice the flex at the joint but no more so than last years. The handle was still nice and stiff but it felt like it over flexed sometimes if you hit to close to the end-cap. Over all it feels much better than last years.

2017 Nighthawk Robo 26EL approximately 2-300hits

Round two
I haven't swung a true end-load in a while. Last years ROBO felt just like the balanced bat but with more end-load. Still felt off to me and that's why I swung my Mamba most of the year. It hit awesome but felt like swinging a soft block of wood with a handle so it didn't feel comfortable for me.
The new handle changes the feel completely. To me it also feels like they've added a little more EL as well. I actually feels like the EL is right on the end cap which is perfect. From first swing I loved it. Has the same barrel feel as the balanced but with less flex when you hit it near the end-cap. My timing had gotten better at this point and my back was finally loosening up so I was making good contact again and let me tell you the ball jumps off with that EL. In my opinion, the ball won't go any further with EL vs BALANCED but it comes down to what you want and feel comfortable swinging.

27 FREAK 30 Yellow x 2
27 oz EST (baby blue)
26 EL OG CDN CATTY
27 EST Balanced 2017 Short barrel

MY GTG List http://www.sportsfreaksonline.com/fo...hp?u=2870&iv=4
jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
jethro
1992-1993 4 ever

SBF via Chudder

Bat: 27oz 2017 USSSA Mizuno Nighthawk Roboload (brand new in wrapper)
Dimensions: approx 310' all around from where we were hitting
Time: Dusk
Temps: 10/12 C or 50/55 F
Slight wind in our face 10 or 15 MPH
Ball: Mostly old used 52/300's with the odd harder ball mixed in

My review:

Appearance:
Like we've come to expect from Mizuno, the 2017 bats have very clean, slick lines and are tasteful graphics. The USSSA Roboload is mostly black with grey accents, it's nice. I personally would like a splash of vibrant color mixed in, but on a whole I do like the design a lot.

Handle/Grip:
It could be optics however it seems the handle is a little thinner this year. I like this a lot, if you don't like it then build it up with tape.

I loved the grip last year, however it wasn't very durable and after a few BPs it would get destroyed. I defaulted to tape just because I knew the grip wouldn't last. This year they have a new grip that has great tack however seems a lot more durable.

Weighting:
Coming to Mizuno from Easton was a transition for me at the plate. The Mizuno bats definitely had softer and more responsive barrels and I loved that. However, I really love the Easton swing weight/ loading and how their bats came through the hitting zone. In 2016 Mizuno had a more conservative end load. In 2017 the end load is more pronounced and is much more obvious than last year however it's not aggressively in your face where it might scare away some people.

Barrel:
This bat was brand new when we began and we had no problem getting the ball to carry over a 310 fence. It was very responsive right from the beginning and we could feel it open up already in the 100 or so swings we took with it. Its difficult to say how good this will get, the balls we were using were terrible and the bat was brand new. I was incredibly impressed how well it performed under these circumstances and I suspect when fully broken in this will be a rocket launcher that spits hot fire.

We compression tested the bat after we were done our BP and it was coming in at 235/240. The 2017 Mizuno Nighthawk is game ready right out of the wrapper.

The 2016 Mizuno Nighthawk was one of the top bats in softball that most people didn't know about. Mizuno has listened to their customer's and made the appropriate changes for 2017 to make it even better. If you haven't given the nighthawk a chance, talk to a local rep and we will get one in your hands!!

We will be doing plenty of testing in the tunnels and I'll update this as we go. I've attached video of us hitting the bat. Thanks for taking the time to read my review!

RG43

27 FREAK 30 Yellow x 2
27 oz EST (baby blue)
26 EL OG CDN CATTY
27 EST Balanced 2017 Short barrel

MY GTG List http://www.sportsfreaksonline.com/fo...hp?u=2870&iv=4
jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:50 PM   #4
TheShoe
Post Ore

What would you like to know?

Key point below for me...

Performance - EVERYTHING you've come to expect of Nighthawk slowpitch. G2g outta wrap. Huge sweet spot. Stiff solid feel.

Looks - Improved tenfold. Finally no neon yellow on something...

Handle - Thinner grip. More Easton/LS OG Z2 or early RI like, before LS got into the fat cone. Personally love this. Thinner grip for me the better.

Feel - Less "clicky" or "plastic-ey". Better feel imo. Hard to explain this one. Those who've hit both will know what I mean. Better feedback on flushed pokes this year I find. More pleasant feel, same huge sweet spot.

End Load - MUCH improved and what i'd call a full load. More in line with a DC or Ressy (formerly) Legit. Seems to get a great piece of Hot Dot with that hefty load. I'm a big fan of that so far. Found last year's Robo load a little on the midload/balanced side. Fwiw this is my complaint of the Newbreed this year too. Definitely more seperation between EL & Bal options now. Whereas I found last year's to feel a lot of the same to me.

Grip - MUCH better stock grip. Lasted longer, felt much better... Ultimately got the usual .5mm Lizard makeover though eventually.

Opened up a bit at 35-40 hits. Tbh needs more love and perhaps some Gray Dot BP before I can really compare with my others. Anyone else swinging mine has complimented it, thinking about buying one, or bought one.

One of my 2 keepers & eventually gamers this year. I prefer it to 2016, and thus moved my 16s now.
TheShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
goose1987
Seasoned Vet

Anyone got a review of the momba?????
goose1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:24 PM   #6
Geezer000
Seasoned Vet

2017 Mamba 27 approximately 300hits

Round 3
I don't know what it is about the mamba.......but i love this thing. They haven't changed the swing weight at all. For me it swings beautifully. It has a very crisp feeling barrel. The barrels on the Mamba and Nighthawk feel very different to me. The only way I can describe it is like the difference between a mid kick hockey stick vs a low kick point. The Nighthawk is the Mid-kick where it soaks up the ball a little and then spits it out. You don't need as much effort to hit the ball hard. The Mamba is like the Low-kick where it doesn't pull the ball in as much but it releases it in a fraction of the time. You also need a little more swing speed to get the same distance but the harder you swing the farther it goes. The sweet spot doesn't feel as big as the Nighthawks but it is plenty big enough that its hard to miss. The only difference I've noticed since last year is that it breaks in quicker which is a good thing. At 300 hits my bat last year was nowhere near this good. This thing just came through the zone absurdly fast.

In Bat Bag:

27oz Crush Bal
26oz Crush EL
Geezer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:35 PM   #7
crush23
SFO Superstar

Thanks guys!!
A2000
Bag of Spitz
Old 03-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #8
Monty
#22 Canucks

i like it.
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
TMAC68
Attn Ore!

Originally Posted by Monty View Post
i like it.
Excellent Review!
TMAC68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
crush23
SFO Superstar

Originally Posted by TMAC68 View Post
Excellent Review!
Haha!
A2000
Bag of Spitz
Old 03-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #11
HiLites
Seasoned Vet

Originally Posted by TMAC68 View Post
Excellent Review!
You didn't go out and buy 2 of them based on that review?
HiLites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:50 AM   #12
ZR27
#lexxbeinglexx

Originally Posted by Monty View Post
i like it.
i dont believe you
ZR27 is offline   Reply With Quote