Softball Discussion Everything to do with softball

Share This Forum!  

Old 01-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
21lw
Pine Rider

Difference between 2017 Z4 & Super Z

Wondering what the biggest/most noticeable differences are between the two bats. I know the Super is a 2-piece and the Z4 is a 3-piece, but I've never swung either and looking for input from those who have.

Which one do you prefer and why? Thanks
21lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
kvander
Seasoned Vet

Most people around here prefer neither. However, the SuperZ is generally more popular, likely because it is a bit stiffer with less flex at the connection than the Z4
Old 01-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #3
TheShoe
Average Rec Guy

The 3 pc is a much bendier bat.

The Super Z 2pc is a stiffer bend profile.

It has pros/cons for each depending on your swing and the power it generates.

A slower swing for example may benefit from the excessive bend or kick the 3pc Z4 or now new Z5 would offer.

A stronger/faster swing may end up losing inertia and power transfer on the ball downrange because of just how much the bat bent through impact. Whereas the stiffer firmer kick of the Super Z suits that better.

For me, being a slightly stronger than average swinger, the excess bend both annoys me and visibly when testing the product doesn't serve me as well as the Super Z does or other stiffer 2pc bats.

Think of it like choosing a shaft flex in golf or a stick flex in hockey. They make different ones for a reason, it's a matter of figuring out what suits you.

I've seen dudes who swing harder than me love the flexier Z3/4 in the past too, but they've worked with the bat learned it's kick etc etc.... Much like say a Phil Kessel and his sister's flex hockey stick and mastering his quick release with the excess flex in it.

Hope my rant makes sense.

As for the comment of guys liking neither - That's more barrel pop related than anything. I found the barrels lacked pop in LS bats for several years now. They just didn't pop off the barrel like Miken/Worth & Easton Flex bats did. This year Z1000/Z5 look to change that a little.
TheShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
dtych
Seasoned Vet

From my understanding LS bats in prior years had discs inside that prevented excess barrel flex. Possible reason for not having the same pop from barrel. This year could be different I am not too sure.
dtych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
TheShoe
Average Rec Guy

Dual Stamp models only.

Those are still continuing moving forward as the Super Z in 2018 and dual stamped- meaning they have the Utrip thumbprint stamp AND the new ASA stamp.

The Utrip stamp only bat equivalent being the Z1000 2018 model. And that has no disc.

The Utrip only bats didn't have the disc - They just had very very stubborn barrels that didn't work in too well unless they were beaten to death with hard rock balls and then some. Even then many still didn't quite drop to that pass/fail line of ecstasy lol.

They would take a LOT of work to be anywhere close to an out of wrapper Miken/Worth.

Looks like in 2018 the barrels will be on par for that. The differences being the handle and hinge designs, feel, etc.

Originally Posted by dtych View Post
From my understanding LS bats in prior years had discs inside that prevented excess barrel flex. Possible reason for not having the same pop from barrel. This year could be different I am not too sure.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #6
21lw
Pine Rider

Thanks for the input. Haven't seen many swinging them around here and didn't know if it was a popularity thing or more of a quality issue vs Miken/Worth.
21lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
TheShoe
Average Rec Guy

Performance has been the answer to that question.

A lot of people migrated to Miken/Worth bats because of performance, especially out of wrapper and the early life stages.

Originally Posted by 21lw View Post
Thanks for the input. Haven't seen many swinging them around here and didn't know if it was a popularity thing or more of a quality issue vs Miken/Worth.