Softball Discussion Everything to do with softball

Share This Forum!  

Old 06-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
rabbit_ears
Rookie

Swinging a cracked bat

I read a lot on here and other forums condemning people for swinging altered/shaved bats, but then those same people talk about their cracked bats "dropping bombs", "spitting fire", etc, etc. (see video of beer-league hero hitting bombs from 2nd base)
I have never swung a shaved bat so I have no point of reference but my understanding of the premise is to thin the walls so that there is more "trampoline effect". A crack in the barrel of the bat compromises the structural integrity of the bat also allowing it to flex more.
So while one person knowingly seeks out someone to physically alter their bat, the other alters it through use beyond its serviceable life.
In my opinion if you knowingly "turn the crack to the back and swing away", you are swinging an altered bat.
Am I alone in this? And should you be subjected to the same penalties as someone swinging an "altered" bat?
rabbit_ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
teedub
BYYYYYOOOOOUUU

Originally Posted by rabbit_ears View Post
I read a lot on here and other forums condemning people for swinging altered/shaved bats, but then those same people talk about their cracked bats "dropping bombs", "spitting fire", etc, etc. (see video of beer-league hero hitting bombs from 2nd base)
I have never swung a shaved bat so I have no point of reference but my understanding of the premise is to thin the walls so that there is more "trampoline effect". A crack in the barrel of the bat compromises the structural integrity of the bat also allowing it to flex more.
So while one person knowingly seeks out someone to physically alter their bat, the other alters it through use beyond its serviceable life.
In my opinion if you knowingly "turn the crack to the back and swing away", you are swinging an altered bat.
Am I alone in this? And should you be subjected to the same penalties as someone swinging an "altered" bat?

Ump's discretion IMO

If Ump doesn't toss the bat then I would think it is GTG
Vinci BMB L

Wifes:
Worth JH 454 Sick 26.5
Easton SP13B2 26oz

BC Provincial Champs Men's 2015
teedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
RedSoxFan13
1 out of 162

It is the same as knowing that a Freak 98 is a painted ultra imo. Just cuz the ump doesn't toss it doent mean it is gtg....especially if you know it is not....

Too many times I have seen guys get up in a rec tourney with an NSA or a USSSA bat in an spn/asa tourney and say " well the ump let us use it" then the fight started
RedSoxFan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
teedub
BYYYYYOOOOOUUU

Originally Posted by RedSoxFan13 View Post
It is the same as knowing that a Freak 98 is a painted ultra imo. Just cuz the ump doesn't toss it doent mean it is gtg....especially if you know it is not....

Too many times I have seen guys get up in a rec tourney with an NSA or a USSSA bat in an spn/asa tourney and say " well the ump let us use it" then the fight started
We are talking about a hairline crack aren't we...Not a utrip or NSA bat in an ASA league.

Two different things IMO
Vinci BMB L

Wifes:
Worth JH 454 Sick 26.5
Easton SP13B2 26oz

Old 06-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Rookie_8319
Seasoned Vet

Any cracked bat I've ever swung (not on purpose, but broke while I was hitting BP or swinging in league), it always goes in the bag, not because I consider it altered, but because I found the performance of the bat is gone and it becomes useless. I have never swung a bat that was cracked and thought it was hotter then before it broke, just doesn't make sense IMO. While I agree with the poster saying it's the UMPs decision, any person in their right mind wouldn't swing a broken bat when it mattered. If I suspect a cracked/broken bat in any of my league games, I always ask the guy if it is cracked. If he says yes, I would tell him to put it away, and if he didn't, when he steps in the box with the bat, call time and bring it up to the Umpire, any decent umpire would toss the bat right away.

Sun Devils - Oshawa Primier League
Dbacks - Men's 'B' Super Series
Rookie_8319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
jfrancais
spring training

Originally Posted by rabbit_ears View Post
I wouldn't think this would be classed as altered unless it was deemed as occuring from doing something fishy. My thought is that this would be treated as an alluminum bat with a dent. umpire wouldn't approve it from play at the start of the game or remove it from play when it was discovered.
FRENCH - #44

In the bat bag:
26oz Stadium Spec-One
26.5oz Legit JH Lite
27oz '17 Super Z End Loaded
27oz Demarini New Breed
27oz FuDawg
jfrancais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
tbatti
Batman

Originally Posted by jfrancais View Post
I wouldn't think this would be classed as altered unless it was deemed as occuring from doing something fishy. My thought is that this would be treated as an alluminum bat with a dent. umpire wouldn't approve it from play at the start of the game or remove it from play when it was discovered.
X2. It's not altered.

OG Syn 1st batch X2 26oz, Nemesys SP1 27oz, Avarice 26oz ,Easton Synergy SP12SY100 26oz, Z2000 EL 26oz, Easton B1.0 26oz

ASA: OG Flex 26oz
tbatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
teedub
BYYYYYOOOOOUUU

Originally Posted by tbatti View Post
X2. It's not altered.
That's what I was saying.
Vinci BMB L

Wifes:
Worth JH 454 Sick 26.5
Easton SP13B2 26oz

Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
Diontime
Seasoned Vet

I'm guilty of this, and I know it should be conisdered illegal, it lasts a few more swings, but I know better. I agree 100% should be considered altered. And I am 100% in the wrong for swinging them , but I'm still learning.
Boombah Boss 26oz
Combat Anti-virus 27EL
Mizuno Mamba (Black) 28oz
Easton Synergy OG 28oz
Diontime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
Tiny27
can of corn

its a cracked bat, put it away, its "BROKE"

granted its not "altered" but its not allowed!!

what else needs to be said???
28oz SP12SY100

Tiny27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
RedSoxFan13
1 out of 162

I was not saying that it is the same but if you know and still use it then you are knowingly breaking the rules...that is the same
RedSoxFan13 is offline   Reply With Quote