View Full Version : Tournies?

Willie
02-20-2007, 11:43 AM
As a Coach of a team, what is the most important thing that makes you decide to go to one tourney over another. You can only pick one (wish you could rank the options) so choose wisely and really think about what draws you.

Comments are welcome. remember to be specific and keep it clean..LOL

If something is more important and not on the list, please tell me.

Deuce
02-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Well this was tough to vote on as I feel it has to be a combination of these things in order for a good tourny, and i also feel there is a difference between a normal tourny and a big tourny such as provincials. For a normal tourny i would put guaranteed games....more games for your buck the better. For a large tourny i would take format and atmosphere equally...you like to make a trip out of it and have other things to do, at the same time have a good format (round robin, Double knock-out etc...) to play. Also good to know what you need to do to advance in the tourny before hand.

Willie
02-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks for your comments, i know it's hard, because all factors combined will influence what you choose. Most coaches narrow down the list of available tournies on any given weekend, to present to their team. I guess it's a question of would you drive a little farther for a little more money, or maybe better diamonds. Or do you just want to be as close to home as possible and get get more games, etc. Just trying to get a handle on why people choose one tourney over another. as a tourney convenor here in Barrie, we have great diamonds, and decent atmosphere, but what would make a toronto team come here as opposed to scarborough, what would make the extra drive worth while so to speak. that's my intent anyway.

KMKjr
02-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Fair, well run & organized and most important, no sandbaggers.

And I almost forgot. Cold beer, all day.

Willie
02-20-2007, 12:27 PM

You want Beer at a tourney.....hmmmm. that would be a good idea ..LOL

capersaway
02-20-2007, 12:48 PM

mmmmmmmmmm beeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr.

Deuce
02-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks for your comments, i know it's hard, because all factors combined will influence what you choose. Most coaches narrow down the list of available tournies on any given weekend, to present to their team. I guess it's a question of would you drive a little farther for a little more money, or maybe better diamonds. Or do you just want to be as close to home as possible and get get more games, etc. Just trying to get a handle on why people choose one tourney over another. as a tourney convenor here in Barrie, we have great diamonds, and decent atmosphere, but what would make a toronto team come here as opposed to scarborough, what would make the extra drive worth while so to speak. that's my intent anyway.

Well Willy here is what i would do in your scenerio...first i would try to pick a weekend where there is not a NSA tourny in Oshawa (good luck on that LOL) Then i would offer great money and prizes and the 5 games guarantee also maybe get a local hotel as a sponsor and have cheap rooms already in place for out of town teams. Maybe offer a free room with entry(1 night only for teams 100 kms+ away) and a case of their fav Labatt product. I know once you get the teams to come and the tourny is run good they will come back again and again without the big incentives. You might not make a lot of money on the first one, but it will pay off in the end!!! Just some ideas...

Willie
02-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Well Willy here is what i would do in your scenerio...first i would try to pick a weekend where there is not a NSA tourny in Oshawa (good luck on that LOL) Then i would offer great money and prizes and the 5 games guarantee also maybe get a local hotel as a sponsor and have cheap rooms already in place for out of town teams. Maybe offer a free room with entry(1 night only for teams 100 kms+ away) and a case of their fav Labatt product. I know once you get the teams to come and the tourny is run good they will come back again and again without the big incentives. You might not make a lot of money on the first one, but it will pay off in the end!!! Just some ideas...

OH MY GOD, a free room and a case of beer, how much money do you think a tournement makes. after i pay umps, diamonds, licences, NSA insurance, balls, prize money, etc. i would be lucky to make $400 on my 2 day event. Nice idea Duece, but i couldn't make that work, I don't care about making money, but it shouldn't cost me money either. thanks for the idea though, i do appreciate the thought put into it.

Bigredz75
02-20-2007, 02:25 PM
playing on a nice feild is always bounes.fine cut grass.dirt infeild (no rocks).those dimonds off hwy 26 where the baycats play are nice.willie one of the teams i play on have a guy that lives in wasega and we stayed there to go to etobicoke tournie so come down to play in barrie should not be to far.so keep me informed.

Deuce
02-20-2007, 03:09 PM
OH MY GOD, a free room and a case of beer, how much money do you think a tournement makes. after i pay umps, diamonds, licences, NSA insurance, balls, prize money, etc. i would be lucky to make $400 on my 2 day event. Nice idea Duece, but i couldn't make that work, I don't care about making money, but it shouldn't cost me money either. thanks for the idea though, i do appreciate the thought put into it.

I meant if you get a hotel to be headquarters etc...Pitch it like this give a team 1 room for 1 night they will still need to rent at least 1 more if not 2 rooms for the weekend.No money out of your pocket...have the hotel offer a rent 2 rooms get 1 free or soemthing Private owed hotels might be more likely to do something like this for you. Some tourny's in Belleville offer a case for out of town teams and it always goes over well.

KMKjr
02-20-2007, 03:48 PM
playing on a nice feild is always bounes.fine cut grass.dirt infeild (no rocks).those dimonds off hwy 26 where the baycats play are nice.willie one of the teams i play on have a guy that lives in wasega and we stayed there to go to etobicoke tournie so come down to play in barrie should not be to far.so keep me informed.

Agreed.

Make sure the field are mowed before it starts and drag them as often as possible.

And don't laugh about the BEER, I went to a tourny once and it was "dry", well at least until the liquor store opened...lol

Icatchn
02-20-2007, 04:15 PM
I checked prize money... but now come to think about it I dont really care about money.. I just go to a tourny because it was Run smooth and I have fun. The closer to Belleville the better also.

Another question for some of the guys I may know..
what was the Best tourny you played in Last year!!

Willie
02-20-2007, 04:20 PM
money never meant anything to me, by the time you split it 12 ways, what have you got really. It's the ball that matters to me, good organization, good fields, good atmosphere and ammenities.

and oh yea....JAMIE IS A NO GOOD THREAD HIJACKER...lol

Icatchn
02-20-2007, 04:24 PM
money never meant anything to me, by the time you split it 12 ways, what have you got really. It's the ball that matters to me, good organization, good fields, good atmosphere and ammenities.

and oh yea....JAMIE IS A NO GOOD THREAD HIJACKER...lol

Well if guys say what the best tourny was then they can also say Why helping answering your question..

I had the most fun at Superdraft.. and The sportsfreaks 5 game showdown!!!

tommyd34
02-20-2007, 04:43 PM
well run tournies are important people remember the crappy run tourns and teams won't go back into those tournies

Willie
02-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Well if guys say what the best tourny was then they can also say Why helping answering your question..

I had the most fun at Superdraft.. and The sportsfreaks 5 game showdown!!!

that's very nice, but you didn't say WHY!!! come on, it's your idea LMAO

Willie
02-20-2007, 08:24 PM
I am really surprised at the voting so far, never thought a few extra bucks was that important.

Hey gang, we need lots more votes if this is going to be accurate, don't be afraid, no one bites here.

Signguy
02-20-2007, 10:04 PM
There's lots of tournies you guys are running on here..the issue for me is driving 2+ hrs to goto a tourney..that's too far for me...make some closer to the KW area :)

Willie
02-20-2007, 11:22 PM
has expanded into the tri city area this year and there should be some tournies there.

The Big K
02-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Ok, my vote was on the number of guaranteed games,but there were a tonne of other interesting decisions there as well, diamond quality is a good one,as well as rulebooks, i have never even heard of mexican rules until i moved here,and it is one of the most funnest rules ive ever heard of, i just like to go out and play ball no matter what association,no matter what the rules,no matter what the division,if you asked me to go out and play COMP, i would, i may not be that good,but id leave everything on the field. I just want to play ball, plain and simple

Icatchn
02-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Ok, my vote was on the number of guaranteed games,but there were a tonne of other interesting decisions there as well, diamond quality is a good one,as well as rulebooks, i have never even heard of mexican rules until i moved here,and it is one of the most funnest rules ive ever heard of, i just like to go out and play ball no matter what association,no matter what the rules,no matter what the division,if you asked me to go out and play COMP, i would, i may not be that good,but id leave everything on the field. I just want to play ball, plain and simple

you call what your doing Playing Ball... I thought you were trying out to be a stunt devil or something...:tongue: :tongue: Just buggn ya Camer

Freak88
02-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Location, Location, Location...........

KMKjr
02-21-2007, 10:59 AM
And BEER????

tomahawk13
02-21-2007, 11:12 AM

Should I point out that we travel 2 hrs away every weekend rather than stick closer...or that you're planning to play with a team every other weekend 3.5 hours away all summer??? Can he change his vote??

KMKjr
02-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Playing different and new teams is always an issue for us. You travel 2-3-6hours to play a team 8:00 Saturday AM, that we played the week before at your home field or some league team you play 10 times a year....really sucks. Could have stayed home and played them and got more sleep!!

Willie
02-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Should I point out that we travel 2 hrs away every weekend rather than stick closer...or that you're planning to play with a team every other weekend 3.5 hours away all summer??? Can he change his vote??

But i am still trying to figure Darran out, so nothing surprises me. ..lol.

Freak88
02-21-2007, 01:13 PM
I like to travel....different teams....new faces....new recruits...

Willie
02-21-2007, 04:16 PM
I like to travel....different teams....new faces....new recruits...

location isn't really important to you then, yet you voted for it.....I think we were married....just no pleasing you lol

Willie
02-21-2007, 04:20 PM
makes me wonder What way ripken 8's vote will go, hope he votes soon i really value his insight.

Freak88
02-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Ripken 8 would vote for the cheapest beer, lol

tomahawk13
02-22-2007, 03:51 AM
location isn't really important to you then, yet you voted for it.....I think we were married....just no pleasing you lol

lmfao....I agree...try living with him!! :rolleyes:

Willie
02-22-2007, 12:26 PM
No thanks, i like Darran .......but i don't LIKE Darran. besides I couldn't do it, he moves around too much for me...i'm happy with my LOCATION it's important to me HA|!

Rick
02-22-2007, 01:24 PM
I voted number of games Ive seen tourney's where u play 2 games on sat and then if u lose your 1st game sunday your out what a waste of a weekend:thumbsdn2 :mad:

Icatchn
02-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Yes it sucks to drive an hour Lose the first game and then head back home

Freak88
02-22-2007, 11:11 PM
I was just informed from the wife about my vote, it was miss leading. I picked location because i like to travel and play different teams and meet new people.
Just like when we go to Pickering Willie, fun people.