View Full Version : Z1000 - worth the hype?

rabbit_ears
05-18-2012, 11:56 AM
I fell victim to the hype mahine earlier this year and bought a Z1000 (27oz EL ASA T. Cocco). I have put approximately 2-300 swings on it between games and BP. Now I'm hoping it breaks so I can get NIW that I can unload.
At the risk of ostracizing myself from Z nation, I have to say, given all the hype about this bat it was very disappointing. I like the weighting, it feels nice through the zone, feels nice on contact, hits gaps well but I can easily out distance it with my ASA Recoil or SSR2.
I don't know whether the hype is mostly with the U-trip bat, but the ASA version is an average bat at best in my hands. I will continue to swing it on occasion, but it's not my go to gamer.

blueoveryou
05-18-2012, 11:58 AM
what kind of balls were you hitting?

Sinyk
05-18-2012, 12:01 PM
I still find with mine that the ball goes a mile or nowhere at all, but it feels the same no matter what. It's like there is the sweet spot and then within the sweet spot there is the sweeter spot. If you hit that, the ball is GONE, but you won't know if you hit it based on the feel.

TMAC68
05-18-2012, 12:05 PM
I fell victim to the hype mahine earlier this year and bought a Z1000 (27oz EL ASA T. Cocco). I have put approximately 2-300 swings on it between games and BP. Now I'm hoping it breaks so I can get NIW that I can unload.
At the risk of ostracizing myself from Z nation, I have to say, given all the hype about this bat it was very disappointing. I like the weighting, it feels nice through the zone, feels nice on contact, hits gaps well but I can easily out distance it with my ASA Recoil or SSR2.
I don't know whether the hype is mostly with the U-trip bat, but the ASA version is an average bat at best in my hands. I will continue to swing it on occasion, but it's not my go to gamer.

I would agree with this! I am clearly biased when I say they are a very nice, very forgiving bat, but I have hit a few others that out distance it.

Feel has a LOT to do with this game, sometimes even if the bat is the same and u are use to another, thats the one to use. Its why you should never buy something based solely on hype weather its slopitch gear or anything else in life!! and why ppl like me are here to give u demo's and setup times to hit the bats for free :)

use what feels best for u buddy

rabbit_ears
05-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Have used a variety of balls, most of our BP balls are super golds, but have played a couple tournaments so far using greys and league we use NSA (.47/500) balls.

rabbit_ears
05-18-2012, 12:18 PM
to be honest I bought this bat to use in tourneys with the hot dots, but the two SPN tourneys we've played in so far this year have used greys instead of the hot dots. i didnt intend to use the Z with the rocks we use in league.

chef_mercer
05-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Ill be taking the wrapper off my balance asa monday for some swings. White grey dot and optic yellow balls.

chef_mercer
05-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Got out today with mine, Not impressed as of yet. mix of the optic yellow grey dots and the old white grey dots.

Put about 100 hits on it, Nothing to brag about, hit mostly all line drives with 1 that cleared the fence (barely). Pretty much every bat out hit it for distance, (salvo,ssr2,srv3,scn9,The One,) The bat did have a good feel and didn`t get many vibrations but thats all it had going for it. I will continue to hit it in BP and see what happens. 15 degrees and sunny today.

Damo
05-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Got out today with mine, Not impressed as of yet. mix of the optic yellow grey dots and the old white grey dots.

Put about 100 hits on it, Nothing to brag about, hit mostly all line drives with 1 that cleared the fence (barely). Pretty much every bat out hit it for distance, (salvo,ssr2,srv3,scn9,The One,) The bat did have a good feel and didn`t get many vibrations but thats all it had going for it. I will continue to hit it in BP and see what happens. 15 degrees and sunny today.

i find anything but hitting the hot dot with it has no big impressions
i only use this stick in turneys using hot dots if ASA
if its a ASA turney and using anything but the hot dot i stick with my extended!

ZR27
05-21-2012, 02:09 PM
I replaced my helmer speed with a Z1000 as it took a lot less time to work in, and hit crisp line drives... If I probably wanted more carry or distance... I might move up to a higher weight with endload... But that's not my game

If you have tried some previous tps bats.. There has been some improvement in the technology. The current Z1000 has a 2 piece feel which some have to adjust to.. It is whippy.. Not juggy-like.. But in between a stealth and a juggy..

Just tested a Z2000 the other week, tight sound.. Nice sweetspot.. Definitely a 1 piece feel.. If you're worried about distance.. We hit in 28 degree C weather, barely any wind and I'd say 65 to 75% of the balls used were hot dots.. No issues smacking them out of riverside hardball diamond, in cambridge. well under 100 hits in... Diamond was 330' to corners, 400' to center..

A lot of znation members are looking forward to getting their hands on the next edition.. Hope you give it a shot too :)

chef_mercer
05-21-2012, 02:48 PM
i find anything but hitting the hot dot with it has no big impressions
i only use this stick in turneys using hot dots if ASA
if its a ASA turney and using anything but the hot dot i stick with my extended!

****ty, we only use Grey dots here.

Damo
05-21-2012, 02:55 PM
****ty, we only use Grey dots here.

Yeah I would pick up something else as it's just a average stick in that case

chef_mercer
05-21-2012, 03:01 PM
have lots of options, was just seeing what the hype was all about also. haha