View Full Version : shooting box opinions

SPORTROO
07-25-2010, 07:54 PM
I am curious as to everyone's opinion on shooting box. I have read many varied opinions on here from it is absolutly rediculous to do so to why the hell not.

If another team shoots the box on you does that mean its ok to do it the rest of the game or just once?

Should you avoid shooting the box because it is very dangerous for the pitcher especially with the bats that are being used today?

Or are you one of those who say hitting up the middle is part of the game and if a pitcher doesn't like being hit at then he shouldn't pitch?

I have heard those who say that not everyone can hit up the middle so it is a skill that guys should be allowed to use.

Is a victory tainted because a team hit up the middle to get a lot of their hits? Will it make that team hated?

etc etc etc

I would like some opinions on what they think is or is not appropriate when it comes to shooting the box.

jetes2
07-25-2010, 08:13 PM
As a player who does hit up the middle of the field I can say that I avoid shooting the box but there are times with two strikes you get a low,short pitch in the middle or outside part of the plate so to an extent the pitcher has to relaize that sometimes the ball goes where you pitch it. I do have to say that we do run into teams who shoot the box regularly and we try to take the higher road not retaliate!

TMAC68
07-25-2010, 08:22 PM
There are always going to be different views on this and there are more then 2 schools of thought.

I am a pitcher from time to time and I do go close to the middle A LOT. I always apologize even if I didnt hit AT the chucker. I have been hit a lot, i have caught a lot, I have missed a lot but I also know its part of the game. it happens. Yah, you run into those that shoot the middle on purpose, and even some that dont apologize, but thats life. I never tell my guys to do it back, there is no need to start that war.

I think we all just need to realize its life, it happens, move on. If you dont like it, dont pitch.

Simmer12
07-25-2010, 08:24 PM
I pitch and I fully expect there to be shots up the middle. If I leave a pitch on the outside of the plate then I move my azz back and get ready.

I say it's part of the game. Just look at the end of the Battle of the Border!

TMAC68
07-25-2010, 08:31 PM
I think it's part of the game and like Simmer12 said you can't expect much less if you leave one on the outside of the plate. May be walking the sportsmanship line if your shooting box a bunch in a league game though.

Im also a strong supporter of making head gear mandatory for pitchers

Doesnt have to be manditory IMO...then players will go there cause Hey, why not, the pitcher is protected. I would rather take my chances and be as defensive as I can.

beef53
07-25-2010, 08:37 PM
I am curious as to everyone's opinion on shooting box. I have read many varied opinions on here from it is absolutly rediculous to do so to why the hell not.

If another team shoots the box on you does that mean its ok to do it the rest of the game or just once?

Should you avoid shooting the box because it is very dangerous for the pitcher especially with the bats that are being used today?

Or are you one of those who say hitting up the middle is part of the game and if a pitcher doesn't like being hit at then he shouldn't pitch?

I have heard those who say that not everyone can hit up the middle so it is a skill that guys should be allowed to use.

Is a victory tainted because a team hit up the middle to get a lot of their hits? Will it make that team hated?

etc etc etc

I would like some opinions on what they think is or is not appropriate when it comes to shooting the box.

it's perfectly fine unless it's a mercy situation IMO.

pitchers are well aware of what they are doing and going to face when they go out there. some games there's only 1 or 2 shots, other times its seems like there's 40.

A pitcher that fields the position well is a huge a plus and teams usually shy away once a pitcher makes a couple plays(and that usally holds true for future games vs said team)

On the flip side, a pitcher that doesn't do well defensively will probably realize he gets his fair share.

--don't forget, as you go up in levels, pitchers get better and most of the time are quite aware of the spots they are trying to hit(or just miss) and will be more prepared in certain situations.

we had a good number up the middle this weekend at our pitcher(who wears a mask) and he probably made 90% and was pretty close to the other 10%....

JLaw
07-25-2010, 08:49 PM
As a pitcher, I could care less.

I have a glove on.

Not sure I could protect myself as well with headgear on though.

hustler77
07-25-2010, 08:53 PM
There are always going to be different views on this and there are more then 2 schools of thought.

I am a pitcher from time to time and I do go close to the middle A LOT. I always apologize even if I didnt hit AT the chucker. I have been hit a lot, i have caught a lot, I have missed a lot but I also know its part of the game. it happens. Yah, you run into those that shoot the middle on purpose, and even some that dont apologize, but thats life. I never tell my guys to do it back, there is no need to start that war.

I think we all just need to realize its life, it happens, move on. If you dont like it, dont pitch.

agreed with all of this, the only time I will actually make an effort NOT to hit up the middle is in rec league games.....other than that i will hit it where its pitched......

dave2525
07-25-2010, 09:03 PM
as for the protection issue... do any pitchers wear shin guards?

if so do you find them helpful? comfortable? hot?

JLaw
07-25-2010, 09:30 PM
I know the pitcher for the US was wearing them yesterday and it was a good thing because he got hit.

Bigshawn
07-25-2010, 09:30 PM

To give an opinion, one (you) would have to define "shooting the box" for us all to answer. This will be an on going debate because everyone has their own opinion on what shooting the box is.

I for one think it is inappropriate to hit a ball anywhere near a female pitcher. Others will say there is nothing wrong with it.

Men's league is just that "league", for fun in my books. If a couple of beers can't be consumered after a game, it's not worth playing. League for me is a social event I enjoy through the week. But on the same hand I'm not shy about swinging at outside pitches. I consider myself a power hitter and if a pitcher is silly enough to pitch me outside then he better be ready to play his position. I never swing with the intention of hitting the pitcher but from time to time one will come close to the pitcher.

I play tournament ball for 1 reason only, to challenge myself against the best competition available. I have stuck to my guns for years now and haven't played much below "C". Infact I can only think of 1 tourney in the last 5 years that I played that was below "C" and that was with a bunch buddies that didn't care about winning (great weekend too). Tournament ball is played to win and "the box" is between the lines, so fair game in my opinion.

TecGuy8
07-25-2010, 09:43 PM

To give an opinion, one (you) would have to define "shooting the box" for us all to answer. This will be an on going debate because everyone has their own opinion on what shooting the box is.

I for one think it is inappropriate to hit a ball anywhere near a female pitcher. Others will say there is nothing wrong with it.

Men's league is just that "league", for fun in my books. If a couple of beers can't be consumered after a game, it's not worth playing. League for me is a social event I enjoy through the week. But on the same hand I'm not shy about swinging at outside pitches. I consider myself a power hitter and if a pitcher is silly enough to pitch me outside then he better be ready to play his position. I never swing with the intention of hitting the pitcher but from time to time one will come close to the pitcher.

I play tournament ball for 1 reason only, to challenge myself against the best competition available. I have stuck to my guns for years now and haven't played much below "C". Infact I can only think of 1 tourney in the last 5 years that I played that was below "C" and that was with a bunch buddies that didn't care about winning (great weekend too). Tournament ball is played to win and "the box" is between the lines, so fair game in my opinion.

Shooting the box means there is intent. I am guilty of it on many occasions and I don't feel an ounce of remorse. If a pitcher is clearly controlling the game, speed of pitches and seems to be the leader, I want to get him off his mark. Now with that said I agree on the woman pitcher comment, unless she has an adams apple and wears a cup still, I would say anyone that shoots middle here is a weak ass ball player.. Many other spots to pick to deliver a basehit.

penny penny ... my 2 cents

Jayson #13
07-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Hit the middle. It's part of the field. To avoid it somewhat, play 5 man.

Our pitcher (blue jays), wears head gear and wants it hit there. I think he is a very smart man for wearing it.

The problem I have is idiots that shoot middle with an offside bat!!!!

fierce_gt
07-25-2010, 09:50 PM
depends on the situation.

coed/rec, stay away from middle. all shots up the middle should be accidents.

competitive ball, it's a position like any other, and if you can't field the ball, don't stand in the way.

PS, my dad had a ball come back at him today(coed rec) that broke his arm brace. his left elbow was shattered in a car wreck decades ago and he has two screws and a metal plate in his arm. the metal plate cracked a few years back and they gave him the options of leave it be, or the elbow will be fused in one position. now, i think it should be alright for him pitching in a coed rec league. he does handle most hits that accidentally come back at him. there hasn't been a problem before, and the guy who hit him was REALLY apologetic, and imo handled it very well.
now the question is to see if the leagues insurance will cover the cost of getting a new brace made. it might actually be a blessing in disguise as i don't think he's had it fitted in 30yrs, and guaranteed his arm has changed since then.

Caese
07-25-2010, 09:54 PM

When I pitch I wear soccer shin guards. I've never been hit yet, but I feel more confident. As for comfort and stuff I never have issues with it.

NT23
07-25-2010, 10:16 PM
it's perfectly fine unless it's a mercy situation IMO.

pitchers are well aware of what they are doing and going to face when they go out there. some games there's only 1 or 2 shots, other times its seems like there's 40.

A pitcher that fields the position well is a huge a plus and teams usually shy away once a pitcher makes a couple plays(and that usally holds true for future games vs said team)

On the flip side, a pitcher that doesn't do well defensively will probably realize he gets his fair share.

--don't forget, as you go up in levels, pitchers get better and most of the time are quite aware of the spots they are trying to hit(or just miss) and will be more prepared in certain situations.

we had a good number up the middle this weekend at our pitcher(who wears a mask) and he probably made 90% and was pretty close to the other 10%....

Beefer is 100% spot on. Damn, I said it. LOL Hey Beef!

beef53
07-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Beefer is 100% spot on. Damn, I said it. LOL Hey Beef!

i had to read that twice neil!

higgy made 2 VERY good defensive plays and in VERY key spots!!

his hitting wasn't too shabby eitherthumbs-yes

nick0danger
07-25-2010, 10:30 PM
what about the pitcher that does not pay attention, we play a tourney everyear and one team always tries to play a girl, girl battery (some teams make them get a male catcher most teams leave it as we do) However this girls pitches the ball, brush`s her hair back and turns around and does nothing to protect herself.

beef53
07-25-2010, 10:31 PM
I know the pitcher for the US was wearing them yesterday and it was a good thing because he got hit.

wrong....it hit the dirt beside his leg...watch it again closely

NT23
07-25-2010, 10:37 PM
i had to read that twice neil!

higgy made 2 VERY good defensive plays and in VERY key spots!!

his hitting wasn't too shabby eitherthumbs-yes

LOL Hey Beef!!!
Yes, B played very well.

Caese
07-25-2010, 10:45 PM
what about the pitcher that does not pay attention, we play a tourney everyear and one team always tries to play a girl, girl battery (some teams make them get a male catcher most teams leave it as we do) However this girls pitches the ball, brush`s her hair back and turns around and does nothing to protect herself.

buzz her:devil:

But seriously that's the worst. I play a few teams in league that put girls on the mound and it makes me uncomfortable t even attempt opposite field hitting.

chowjai
07-25-2010, 10:49 PM
buzz her:devil:

But seriously that's the worst. I play a few teams in league that put girls on the mound and it makes me uncomfortable t even attempt opposite field hitting.

Hi5....................... LOL

demon76
07-26-2010, 12:44 AM

I got piped 3 years ago in the shin and the bump is still there. Ever since I have worn soft Karate sparring, or soft soccer shin guards and they feel just fine. They get a little hot sometimes on a full weekend but I wash them alot and they serve a dual purpose. They come up to just below the knee and work excellent as sliding pads. I havent had any shale rash since I started wearing them. I have been hit on the shins a couple times since I started wearing them and while it still hurts the pads take away any serious damage, kind of like taking one off the shoe.

demon76
07-26-2010, 12:53 AM
As for shooting the middle, my personal opinion is that any hit that does not come within arms length of me I dont consider middle. When I throw a pitch I know where its going on release and I know most times when the guy is going to hit it back at me so I step back and get ready for it. There arent many balls, that I cant get some part of my glove on. If guys are coming hard up the middle on purpose a fifth infielder or short rover to force the lead runner out at second usually takes that away. Between that and the ones the pitcher will field that usually discourages middle shots. Any accidental shots I consider part of the game and part of being a pitcher. I tell all my guys to apologize to the pitcher and carry on.

SteveO
07-26-2010, 01:48 AM
As long as it's not a girl, drunk guy or a really rec game, I'll hit it up the middle most of the time. If he doesn't want to get balls back at him he shouldn't stand right in front of the hitter. :D I always feel uneasy when I hit a pitcher but it's part of the game. I've hit 5-6 this year and only felt bad about one of them, and I was really trying to avoid him but 2 strikes and a low outside pitch meant he gets a lump for a couple weeks. :o

fierce_gt
07-26-2010, 04:54 AM
i try to paint the foul lines unless i've got 2 strikes on me or there's a huge gap in right centre or left centre.

if that fails a bloop over the infield is usually good a double.

if they are good enough to defend all of those, well i can only assume they are also good enough to protect themselves, but i don't hit middle very well anymore, spent the last 5 years practicing not going there

TecGuy8
07-26-2010, 06:14 AM

tell her to get in the corvette and take Ken to another ball park Hasbro makes ... Get Barbie the hell off the field.

turning around shows nothing but stupidity and her team ??? they must be real winners too ..

nick0danger
07-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Oh really compeitive, but rarly go anywhere.

Arch Rival
07-26-2010, 08:57 AM
I shoot the box when I have to

Tbird
07-26-2010, 10:15 AM
I know everyone says, leave the middle alone when a women is pitching. I usually agree.

I just want to know what everyones thoughts on this....(happened to us years ago in the quarters at provincials). :stir

Woman pitching on the other team. Their team shoots box probably for the first 4 -5 innings. We had a male pitcher so I guess they thought it was ok and we wouldn't do the say. I'm pretty laid back when it comes to shooting box with a woman pitching but I think there is a point where you have to think about doing the same. Especially in a close game.

dave2525
07-26-2010, 10:26 AM
I know everyone says, leave the middle alone when a women is pitching. I usually agree.

I just want to know what everyones thoughts on this....(happened to us years ago in the quarters at provincials). :stir

Woman pitching on the other team. Their team shoots box probably for the first 4 -5 innings. We had a male pitcher so I guess they thought it was ok and we wouldn't do the say. I'm pretty laid back when it comes to shooting box with a woman pitching but I think there is a point where you have to think about doing the same. Especially in a close game.

it's a tough situation... I'd say if they are intentionally going middle, then it's game on. I'm not talking about going at the pitcher with intent, but once a few buzz by I'm sure they'll make a change or she's going to say something about it...

Rusty Shackleford
07-26-2010, 10:26 AM
I pitch on occasion and it doesn't really bother me too much. I got hit way more often when I pitched 3 pitch.

TecGuy8
07-26-2010, 11:28 AM
I have seen too many times in a FUN league where the girl pitching gets shot at and its always the guys who are actual ball players. A couple times a few years ago our pitcher was shot at and the guy who hit the ball thought he was the $hit, well needless to say all the regular ball players went up to bat on our side and pulled hard down the 3rd baseline .. he caught on I think and left her alone the rest of the year. After talking to him games later I told him that if he is a real player he can move the ball all over and knows when the middle is going to be the shot and whether to take it or not ..

COMP coed is a different story.. she plays she might pay for it as well .. she would not be there if she couldn't defend properly.

Tbird
07-26-2010, 11:46 AM
I have seen too many times in a FUN league where the girl pitching gets shot at and its always the guys who are actual ball players. A couple times a few years ago our pitcher was shot at and the guy who hit the ball thought he was the $hit, well needless to say all the regular ball players went up to bat on our side and pulled hard down the 3rd baseline .. he caught on I think and left her alone the rest of the year. After talking to him games later I told him that if he is a real player he can move the ball all over and knows when the middle is going to be the shot and whether to take it or not ..

COMP coed is a different story.. she plays she might pay for it as well .. she would not be there if she couldn't defend properly.

I agree that should never happen in a Fun league!! But I have come accross teams that still do it. I like your thinking and do your best to pick on that player if possible.

When this happened to us we were playing coed C.

number32
07-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Who shoots box? Not me ;)

Gucci_17
07-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Who shoots box? Not me ;)

No, you just hurt the wind buddy!

Phank u.

number32
07-26-2010, 12:23 PM
No, you just hurt the wind buddy!

Phank u.
Spin it up baby

chubbs
07-26-2010, 12:28 PM
I pitch on occasion and it doesn't really bother me too much. I got hit way more often when I pitched 3 pitch.

lol I know that feeling

rogueeffect
07-26-2010, 01:02 PM

I wear them against 2 teams in work rec league , and anytime after someone's gone middle in that rec league at least once.... typically its the reverse of the scenario you get - I get poorly skilled hitters just trying to hit it hard - and they can't control the ball at all - so its never intentional - but i have lumps on both shins from 2 and 3 seasons ago... from other hits (same team got me in 2 diff seasons).

I find them useful - they look ugly so typically wear them under pants when i do wear them - and not hit - just remember to take them off when you're batting - i had one come off while running to first - and face plant.

tbatti
07-26-2010, 01:03 PM
The more competitive it gets the more acceptable it is to hit middle. Each situation is case by case.

Caese
07-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi5....................... LOL

YOU KNOW IT....We played them last year and I hated it. It was the rainout make up day so we had 3 games. We played them 3rd.

I was having a decent day at the plate but when we played them their pitcher always throws short and outside...she also doesn't back up and leaves her glove down. I think I went 0-2 that game and it was very frustrating laying off until I had 2 strikes and then popping out trying not to push.

I know one of our guys hit the ball into CF on a 8-10 foot high line drive and they got upset about it. I really dread playing this team because it really is just a fun co-ed rec league...but their pitcher isn't doing herself any favors.

beef53
07-26-2010, 01:20 PM
The more competitive it gets the more acceptable it is to hit middle. Each situation is case by case.

you would think that to be the truth....except while playing B a couple years back we had a team complaining sooooo bad(mind you they were just as guilty for hitting middle) that we had a guy come in off the bench for pinch hit with guys on 2nd and 3rd(late in the game and close in score) and he hit a single up the middle(not that close to the pitcher) yet the ump called time and dead ball after the ball went into the outfield and ejected the batter.

we tried to protest, and when spo asked us what rule we were protesting, and we asked what rule was used they couldn't give us an answer.

they gave us our protest $$ back and told us they weren't gonna take it cause there was no rule...

and thus

rule 29.b was invented! lol

vleemingj
07-26-2010, 07:06 PM
I personally would never shoot the box, I have and do pitch on accasion and I have a good glove but I have had some sail past me fast and hard enough for me to barely react... I am sorry but if I ever hit someone and sent them to the hospital or worse I sure as hell wouldn't be saying thats the game.. my ass it's no excuse if you are good enough to hit the middle when you want then you should be good enough to hit it anywhere you want... 2 weeks ago I had a second baseman miss play a ball and got hit in the arm and last time I saw him it was still swollen and bruised thats at second base.. My opinion of shooting the box is intention there is the occasion when everyone miss hits the ball..

Buj20
07-27-2010, 12:03 AM

Men's league is just that "league", for fun in my books. If a couple of beers can't be consumered after a game, it's not worth playing. League for me is a social event I enjoy through the week. But on the same hand I'm not shy about swinging at outside pitches. I consider myself a power hitter and if a pitcher is silly enough to pitch me outside then he better be ready to play his position.

Tournament ball is played to win and "the box" is between the lines, so fair game in my opinion.

I agree 100%!!!