View Full Version : Idea's on working in new Glove?

11hatch11
07-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Just got a new wilson A2000 and wondering what the best way to work it in is? Any help would be awesome i've never owned a new glove and it would be awesome if someone could give me some info , Thanks

charlied
07-22-2010, 09:28 PM
I used easton glove oil and beat the crap out of it with rubber mallet. I always keep a ball in the pocket as well.

Caese
07-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Catch and lots of it. YOu don't want to ruin a new glove with oil and stuff.

Also I know alot of the Wilson's use that Ecco leather...That stuff is so soft it doesnt need to be conditioned.

Chudder
07-22-2010, 09:56 PM
We asked Rusty about this in North Carolina.... his response....

put a ball in the glove and tie it up very tight...

get a 5 gallon pail of warm water with a small puddle of dish soap in it.... then put the glove with ball in it and place a brick on top of it....

leave it in the water for 24hrs.....

take glove out and tie a string through the top of the pocket (hand hole down) and hang it in a closet until COMPLETELY dry (about 5 or 6 days)

get a shaving cream with lanolin (sp) in it.... the laonlin (sp) is essential... and rub it in to the glove, and use a lot....

then play catch for a hour or to and the glove is gtg....

Ive tried it...... works!

fierce_gt
07-22-2010, 10:15 PM
i've heard playing catch with a 5pin bowling ball speeds up the break in. i would think that would stretch out the pocket pretty quick anyway.

and by playing catch i mean just by yourself, tossing the ball into your glove. not throwing a bowling ball 30ft to somebody else.

haven't tried it myself, but it seemed to make sense

Tsuga
07-22-2010, 10:30 PM
The A2000 is one of the best gloves you can buy. Play catch with it, use it in your warm ups, find the hardest thrower on you team and warm up with him. Keep a ball in the glove when you put it away. You really don't have to put anything to soften it up. I would suggest that you clean it at the end of the year and apply a leather conditioner to keep it from dessication.

11hatch11
07-22-2010, 11:23 PM
okay guys thanks a ton

Z-9
07-23-2010, 07:45 AM
For $4.99 you can get Glovolium(Rawlings product) from Sportchek. It has lanolin in it. Helps break-in and conditions glove.

LongBaller41
07-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Loosen all the laces in the fingers and play lots of catch. I"ve also heard putting it in the dryer with a wet towel for 15-20 minutes then playing catch with it right after. It heats up and softens the leather.