View Full Version : Travelling with Lotsa Bats on Planes.

joelgreek
07-20-2010, 02:34 PM
...sounds like a movie doesn't it.

I'm headed to Whistler with my team next week for the Nationals. We all have bat bags and we all have bats...will we have to check our bat bags into the belly of the plane as luggage or will we be allowed to stuff the overhead compartments?

What have others' experiences been and what things do you advise I do to carry my gear and bats and stuff?

Joel

BIRDMAN
07-20-2010, 02:36 PM
usually if you guys are flying as a team (group) the air line should of gave you details on sports equipment bags. Who are you flying with??
checked bags are usually 50lbs each.

bigfreak
07-20-2010, 02:39 PM
when we went to calgary, i put all my ball bag and zip tied it, and locked it.

just make sure you pack your shoes and glove in your carry on, in case your ball bag doesn't make the same flight you do. lol

joelgreek
07-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Going Air Canada.

edavis
Or put all the ball gear together minus gloves and cleats (I'd keep these in my own bag in case), and courier it out to your hotel. This is easy and it will all be there when you arrive.

BIGLOU74

I'm headed to Whistler with my team next week for the Nationals. We all have bat bags and we all have bats...will we have to check our bat bags into the belly of the plane as luggage or will we be allowed to stuff the overhead compartments?

What have others' experiences been and what things do you advise I do to carry my gear and bats and stuff?

Joel

Somehow i don't think they'll allow bats as carry ons!!!!lol

Rusty Shackleford
07-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Whistler is awesome, I love it there. Can't say I'd want to spend my time playing ball though.

JoelGreek, is The Enemy still GTG? LMK. :stir

nick0danger
07-20-2010, 07:13 PM
It you do take it on the plane, seperate the bats into 2 bags, god forbid they lose one. That said Edavis has the best idea ship em that way you can at least insure them if they do get lost again, i would do 2 seperate packages.

Freak88
07-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Is there an extra charge for anything, going to Calgary via WestJet......

I have no bats to take so i was thinking of putting everything in my ball bag and a carry on.....

evilaudi
07-21-2010, 06:23 AM
like someone said, zip-tie the zippers shut when you check it(they are NOT going to let you take a ball bag on the plane).

Flown a few times and no problem with my gear.

TecGuy8
07-21-2010, 07:23 AM
can flag Going to talk specifically about baggage as I worked in both Toronto and Windsor for AirCanada and then with Canadian airlines. The best idea I heard on this thread was zip tying the bags. I can tell you from experience that making sure the extra effort to secure equipment is a bonus and a deterent to seeking out what someone might have. There is NO way a ball bag is gong to be carried on and stored in the overhead bins.

With that said make sure you take the precautions and make sure that you keep an intemized list of equiptment in your bag in another suitcase for the chance that they lose your bag you will have all the info ready for them at the airport, someone on the team should also have all the equipment listed on flight with them from everyone. Seems like a lot of work just to fly and enjoy baseball however it is what it is today and can't be to careful when it comes to potentially carrying 1000$ worth of stuff in each bag.

Enjoy Whistler if you have the chance to get out and see the sights your trip will be 10X better than just playing ball ..

Sr. Canuck
07-21-2010, 02:32 PM

Joel

I have had my bats broken during shipping. I suggest a case or keep them in boxes. Some guys use a golf club case.

vegas
07-21-2010, 02:43 PM
I do it all the time

100% confirmation that you have to check them in
all airlines. bats can be considered a weapon and thus are not allowed on the plain

Also when you have to pick them up they will often end up on the special luggage rack, same place where you pick up ski's or golf clubs and other longer items. Usually just a few steps away. (due to length over 30 inches)

I have often put them in my ball bag and used a small lock. Or else you can box them if you don't want to take a chance.

if there are lots i say box them together to avoid extra baggage charges. most airline only allow you to check in 1 baggage for free and you have to pay extra for more than 1

puppy
07-21-2010, 03:50 PM
You have to check them as sporting equipment like golf bags or skiies and they will be treated a bit better they will not allow you to carry it on the plane because 1 they are the wrong size and 2 bats are considered weapons.

I didn't have a problem going out to BC and NC and they were connecting flights, I zip tied all my zippers. I had my Glove in my Carry on. If the bag gets lost there are many sports stores you can buy cleats and bats it's just a pain.

Another tip check in early so your bag has plenty of time to make it to the plane!

vegas
07-21-2010, 04:14 PM
You have to check them as sporting equipment like golf bags or skiies and they will be treated a bit better they will not allow you to carry it on the plane because 1 they are the wrong size and 2 bats are considered weapons.

I didn't have a problem going out to BC and NC and they were connecting flights, I zip tied all my zippers. I had my Glove in my Carry on. If the bag gets lost there are many sports stores you can buy cleats and bats it's just a pain.

Another tip check in early so your bag has plenty of time to make it to the plane!

even 1 bat is considered a weapon

Fence57
07-21-2010, 04:37 PM

Not in TJ's hands, it isn't!! :eek:

puppy
07-22-2010, 02:50 PM

Sorry I didn't mean it as 2 bats were a weapon it was point 2 not 2 bats. lol