View Full Version : Bat Weights

TecGuy8
07-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Could be setting myself up here for some serious off topic discussion however, I want to know if anyone else notices 1 oz weight difference in swing.. seems to me that 26 oz I can get under and tank the ball .. with the 27 oz bats I am hitting liners easier and base hits.

Would 1 oz really make that difference or is this something I should talk to my shrink about?

Deuce
07-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Could be setting myself up here for some serious off topic discussion however, I want to know if anyone else notices 1 oz weight difference in swing.. seems to me that 26 oz I can get under and tank the ball .. with the 27 oz bats I am hitting liners easier and base hits.

Would 1 oz really make that difference or is this something I should talk to my shrink about?

yes it can make a difference...depending on where the weight is...for instance a 28 balanced and a 28 endload swing different. so swinging a 26 balanced and then swinging a 27 endload will mess you up. did you see the thing during the homerun derby on sports science they were talking about bat speed vs pitch speed. It was something like 5 mph of bat spped = 25 feet of ball travel and 5mph of pitch speed was 5' of ball travel so bat speed is more important then pitch speed

TecGuy8
07-16-2010, 07:46 AM
yes it can make a difference...depending on where the weight is...for instance a 28 balanced and a 28 endload swing different. so swinging a 26 balanced and then swinging a 27 endload will mess you up. did you see the thing during the homerun derby on sports science they were talking about bat speed vs pitch speed. It was something like 5 mph of bat spped = 25 feet of ball travel and 5mph of pitch speed was 5' of ball travel so bat speed is more important then pitch speed

Missed that I just thought I was losing my mind thinking that the 1 oz could not be that much of a difference. Could 1oz of bat really slow a bat speed over the arms length 5mph? Amazing the science behind it I wouldn't say I swing the 27 slower but I have never had a radar gun pointed at the bat. WOuld be interesting to find out swing variances in speed... :bit-wallb

Deuce
07-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Missed that I just thought I was losing my mind thinking that the 1 oz could not be that much of a difference. Could 1oz of bat really slow a bat speed over the arms length 5mph? Amazing the science behind it I wouldn't say I swing the 27 slower but I have never had a radar gun pointed at the bat. WOuld be interesting to find out swing variances in speed... :bit-wallb

basically you should swing the heaviest bat you can without losing bat speed..so if you swing the 26 and 27 pretty much same speed swing the 27

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportscience/index

TecGuy8
07-16-2010, 07:54 AM
basically you should swing the heaviest bat you can without losing bat speed..so if you swing the 26 and 27 pretty much same speed swing the 27

They don't feel any different but I do notice the way it comes off the bat and the direction they are flying .. 26 oz I can easily go opposite field and 27 I am more prone to drive through a 3rd basemans and SS's glove... both hard hits but since becoming a lil bit of a bat whore on here i have more options now and noticing the difference... not complaining at all just wondered if anyone else sees same effects through different weights.

Deuce
07-16-2010, 08:00 AM
They don't feel any different but I do notice the way it comes off the bat and the direction they are flying .. 26 oz I can easily go opposite field and 27 I am more prone to drive through a 3rd basemans and SS's glove... both hard hits but since becoming a lil bit of a bat whore on here i have more options now and noticing the difference... not complaining at all just wondered if anyone else sees same effects through different weights.

26 would allow you to sit on the ball longer imo as it is lighter and comes through the zone faster the head is probably back longer in your swing. But when you swing the 27 your getting the head out in front which is making you pull the ball...keep the head back on the 27 as long as you can and you will have the same results

fierce_gt
07-16-2010, 09:46 AM
depends on the bat. i've swung a 27 and 28 oz juggy and couldn't tell the difference. used to have a 26oz juggy that was a major difference between the other two.

traded a 29oz NRG500 for a 28oz, and i didn't really notice any difference

to me it seems like it'll only make a difference if the bat becomes 'too light' or 'too heavy'. looks like i can swing (on average) 27-29oz without problem. if the bat is heavier or lighter than that range i'll notice the difference. but if the bats are within that range the only thing that really changes is how many swings i can take before getting tired.

MrCharcoal
07-19-2010, 05:10 AM

I would GUESS the reason you always hit to SS/3rd is because you are swinging a slight bit harder to compensate? With the 26 you are more comfortable which is why you can place the ball.

I can swing a 26 BA or a 30 EL comfortably, but I have the same issue as above. If i swing a 28 or less, I can pick. If I swing a heavier bat, I tend to only hit center.

If you want to adjust, practice with a heavier bat, or stick to a comfy bat.

Legend 94
07-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Where you are hitting the ball is dependant on where you make contact with the ball on the contact arc. It would more likely have to do with when you are starting your swing & your pitch selection than the weight of the bat. As was said above you want to choose the heaviest bat that you can maintain the most bat speed through contact when you hit the ball. After you determine this then stick with that bat and get comfortable with it. With this approach you will be able to better control where you hit the ball and you will hit the ball hardest this way.

Also realise that not all bats weigh what the sticker says and they have been known to vary up to 1.5oz...

ecdragon
07-19-2010, 10:29 AM
i think one key point that is missing is balance point, yes EL, Balanced is the easy way to read it but each 27 balanced bat is different as well.

i am super anal about weight and balance point that once i find a bat i use it for multiple years till it breaks...

case in point, u want to increase your bat speed with your SRV3?
grab it by the barrel instead of the knob, and swing it. the balance point of that same bat is now closer to your body so u can move it through the swing quicker.
it's still the same "27oz" bat.

this balance point really throws people off like me cuz i want to smoke every ball no matter what, and not satisfied with placing it for a bloop single on an outside pitch.

turnstylez18
07-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Sorry to steal the thread but I have a question on a purchase.

I just weighed my NRG 27oz balanced bat. It is 27.9 ounces.

Figuring out what weight I should get for a salvo, I bought both to feel them out and will return the one I decide not to keep.

The 28 is 28.22 and the 27 is 27.16 when I weighed them. I kinda wanted a lighter bat but having a bat about .8 oz lighter, will it make a huge difference in my swing? Was really considering the 28 but is a little heavier if not the same as my nrg. Just not sure since I think I'd prefer a slightly lighter bat.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just decided to go with the 27. Took a bit of dry swings. Although I know I can swing the 28, the 27 felt more comfortable. It seemed like had more control.

turnstylez18
07-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Just a bump for a thread stealing question

TecGuy8
07-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Bloody thieves .. and here I thought this was a safe site :stir

Enjoy .. I think I got all the info I needed anyway and more .. Thanks E1thumbs-yes