View Full Version : How important is a catcher in slo-pitch?

wall_33
06-18-2005, 04:28 PM
How important do you think the catcher is in slo-pitch?

I don't think it is the number one position, but I do believe it is still important. When I catch I tend to yap a lot. I don't know how effective it is, but I know with less experienced batters and umps you can sometimes talk them into doing things that they wouldn't normally. Also I feel the constant yapping is distracting to any batter.

More inportantly, the catcher has the best view of the field, and can direct all plays on the field. I very seldom see this happening in slo-pitch, but it does not matter if I'm pitching or catching, I tend to try and direct as much traffic as possible on the field for my team.

milf19
06-19-2005, 01:08 AM
For a game that you know is going to be close, or in a tournament scenario a catcher is important. They have to be able to catch a ball coming in at Mach10 while trying not to get ploughed over by the incoming runner.

As far as regular games go we just stick ouir ****iest guy behind the plate :D

sandrewb
06-19-2005, 09:32 AM
but it does not matter if I'm pitching or catching, I tend to try and direct as much traffic as possible on the field for my team.

We r still talkin about baseball right?? ;)

I say catcher isnt the most important position but when it comes down to it u need a fairly good player their if your serious about winning. Some of the biggest plays are made at the and if the catcher misses it may mean another run coming it.. It is home plate not first second or third base.. the runner gets there its not just a runner advancing it adds a run..

Big Daddy
06-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Most of the times i play catch in tourneys cause most of the time other guys can play other positions better than me. i feel catcher is were the ****tiest player plays. If i wasn"t a AMAZING hitter i would never get asked to play. :D

edavis
06-20-2005, 07:50 AM
Good times

Deuce
06-21-2005, 09:25 AM
I feel a catcher is important. But most times you are right it tends to be the most restricted player. A good catcher takes pride in playing there. covers all plays and lets people know where the guy has been hitting all game. These are the quaility's i want in a catcher. But to often the catcher is there because that is where he is going to hurt you the least. Catchers should take pride in being there after all they are involved in every single play, Every single pitch, and every single call, we always try to make our catchers feel important and keep them involved in the game as much as possiable. Catchers are very important to the game of slow pitch!

Chug48
06-21-2005, 09:57 AM
When I am catching the catcher is very important,lmao!!

When I am not he is still important, but just not to the same degree :D

Everytime someone says the catcher doesn't matter, I always laugh, as those are usually the teams that end up losing on a bad play at home where the catcher couldn;t actually catch the ball, you need more than a stuff back there these days, especially in the higher levels.

Take Care

MCBAIN
06-21-2005, 06:56 PM
As Big daddy is the catcher for our team. I believe he is very important in postitioning our fielders!!!! Pretty amazing hitter too.
Good times! :help:

tlby13
07-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Unfortunately in my league, catcher usually sucks. Their biggest skill has to be getting out of the way when the pitcher comes into home to make the play!! :D But yes, if we were out to win, you need to have someone reliable back there.

Duke of Durham
07-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Big Daddy is a classic backstop, smart ballplayer, respected by team mates and an unreal stick.
Big daddy is large and in charge out there!!
Later Ken

gameco-cks
07-15-2005, 02:53 PM
tell your pitcher to get the hell outta the way. A cathcer has to be able to make the play. Wether it is a guy catching or a girl. As you know i catch a lot on our mens team, and i call every play and when the ball is coming in from the field it should eb the catchers job to yell where the ball is going to be thrown to another bag.
When you say your league do you mean the ladies or mixed?