View Full Version : Bunting in slo-pitch?

wall_33
06-09-2005, 04:48 PM
OK, I play a lot of NSA these days. What can I say, I just want to play ball. NSA allows women to use the smaller ball, and in Alberta allows them to bunt as well! I really do think this is a travisty of the game. Their argument was that it allows the weaker players to compete. The good thing is that most of the teams that I play against don't bunt. There are a few though that will lul you to sleep and drop down a great bunt. To be honest, if the bunt is executed properly, and the girl has any speed, the bunt in almost undefendable.

Last year I argued with NSA to remove bunting. At last years NSA co-ed world series, they did not allow bunting in the open division I believe. This is a start, but I still feel that it should be removed from all divisions. If the only way you can get on base is to bunt then you should either go for some batting practice, or just stand there and hope for a walk!

Jon_Sportsguy
06-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Bunting is ok IMO and if done properly can be a great weapon. I know as a kid in Little league (about 14/15 in age) I would get the bunt signal all the time and would get more singles that way cause of my speed and proper execution. The NSA tourney we played in here, did not alternate the small and big ball, otherwise it may have been a different game. Mind you some of the guys can really launch the small balls, so running the bases becomes more of a challange.

Jon

PS I voted yes ONLY if the teams know that bunting is allowed.. we are not talking about those half swings that Shifty makes and only go 2ft from the plate.

wall_33
06-09-2005, 04:57 PM
So, you would say yes to bunting for men as well as women?

Hmmm, well, maybe if men could do it too... But then there is the safety issue. If you allow bunting for men, then 3B and 1B come in tight, and the batter smokes on down the line. Mind you, they would then know how it feels to be a pitcher standing only 50' away when the ball comes back up the pipe.

Still, I don't see the need for it. Hit the damn ball. We are not playing fastball or baseball. The ball is moving, what 4-8 mph? Again, if bunting is the only way you will get on base, then you probably shouldn't be playing the game. IMHO

Jon_Sportsguy
06-09-2005, 05:01 PM
No in Mens I say no.

Womens sure. I dont agree that the bunting rule should be in there for those that can't hit, but maybe only have it in the higher divisions where you know that players (ladies) can hit? I just like the rule for the strategy of it, not so the weak players can use it to get on.

Jon

Deuce
06-10-2005, 07:47 AM
I like it....evan if a girl never drops a bunt...the threat is there. Can advance a runner with a bunt or make the corners move in and drop one over their head...but again it should be a complete bunt...not a half swing. those half swings should be automatic outs...either you hit or you bunt...allows coach's to be coach's again...speed on first...girl drops a bunt, runner might be on third when the play is done....i give it 2 thumbs up

Vale
06-10-2005, 08:11 AM
I love the bunt feature it opens the game for everyone, and when your down one run and the girl has wheels you can most defenitly move your runners and maybe get her to first aswell, and as for the hlf swings PTW2 they are automatic outs.

Deuce
06-10-2005, 08:17 AM
i know that...but they still have to call them...saw a couple questionable ones so far this year....glad i wasn't playing mixed LOL....i would have been pissed. See you this weekend in Port Hope

NT23
06-10-2005, 08:30 AM
I trust that we're kidding on this one...bunting? Slo-pitch? Strategy?
Slo-pitch is already a hitter's game...why add to it? Sheesh!!
Forget about bunting...I'm all for NOT allowing a runner to score from 3rd on a fly ball, if you want to change something.
Bunting? Oy Vay!!

Whoo Hoo

Deuce
06-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Not scoring on a fly ball from 3rd....now making that a rule would be taking away from the fibers of the game....i guess you are for the larger hockey net too....Baseball should be played as close to the original as possiable....just because it is slow-pitch doesn't mean there is no stratagy in it. I have seen amazing coaching moves to win a game and stupid ones to cost a game statagy and plays are part of the game.....if it was played the way you talk about it my dad would be right when he calls it hit and giggle instead of baseball!!!

Vale
06-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Neil, my friend A ball and the players that play A ball are hitters and I mean you guys can hit, the highest level I got to play was B and well I am not a B player that is for sure, so for the lower rank teams/players it is alot of fun and yes stratigic aswell, I see where you are coming from aswell neil, but till you see a game with bunting you prolly won't appreciate it.

NT23
06-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Not scoring on a fly ball from 3rd....now making that a rule would be taking away from the fibers of the game

It's far too easy to hit a routine fly ball when there is a man/woman on third. Force 'em to get a hit. Take away the laziest play in sports.
That, to me, wouldn't take away from the fibre of the game; it would enhance the game as the batter would be forced to succeed.
The fly ball RBI is like missing the FG in the CFL and still getting a point.
As for "As close to the original as possible"? Did the DH role exist with Abner Doubleday? Baseball and every other sport evolve as required. No sport has the same rules that it was originally played under; they have all evolved at one time or another.
I do somewhat see what you're saying, but Slo-pitch is not fastball, nor is it hardball. The principles of the games are the same but they need their own rules particular to their environment.
After all, can you lead off in Fastball?

As for Junkies_72; Thanks for the compliment, but I still don't like the idea of bunting in Slo-pitch. With that being said; you are correct, I have never played a game with that rule and maybe I would enjoy it. I really don't think so, but maybe.

As for strategy; There is tonnes of strategy in Slo-pitch. I certainly didn't mean to imply that strategy is nonexistent in Slo-pitch.

Whoo Hoo

Chug48
06-10-2005, 11:06 AM
First off to Wall 33,

Yes there was bunting allowed last year at the NSA Co-Ed World Series in the Open Division, it is in the NSA rule book for women to be allowed to bunt, and it would be tough to take that away at just one level or at all for the National Championship.

Second to Neil,

I 100% agree with you on the sacrifice fly from 3rd base, it is far to easy of a way to get a run home, you should have to earn it.This is why in Super Major Slo-Pitch a sac fly is scored as an out for the batter, the ball is pitched at 2 mph earn your runs.

But I also think you would change your mind on the bunting thing, I was totally against it as well, until I played the Co-Ed World series last year, it was a part of the game when the women were up to bat that made you pay special interest to how you defended them, sometimes opening up holes etc etc and adding a defensive and offensive extra strategy to the game.

Especially with the women hitting the small ball, they could smash it as well as bunt it, I thought it made the game much more enjoyable, this is why I signed up with the NSA, I thought the game was very enjoyable, and I HATED Co-Ed with a passion before that!!

The rule as it is in place is a good one in my books, the women are NOT allowed to fake bunt,and then bang one down your throat as you move in, it must be a "prototypical bunt" therefore offering the defense a chance to not catch one in the melon on a fake!! If they do not use a "true" bunt, they are OUT!!

All in all I think it is great perhaps maybe at the higher level it works better than lower, but all in all I thought the game as it was played was very entertaining and I never thought I would say that about co-ed period!!

Take Care

Jon_Sportsguy
06-10-2005, 11:26 AM
I just thought of this after reading Chug's post.

I'm for the bunting... but what if as you say the girl does not square to bunt and does fake it... BAM 1st or 3rd has a broken nose... what are you going to tell them.. well the batter is out... I'm sure they will be happy to hear that.

I guess my question is, how do you enforce the 'squaring to bunt'? or has there been any incidents of this happening?

It was just a safety concern that I just thought of.

Jon

tlby13
06-10-2005, 03:18 PM
I also voted no, until I heard all the particulars from Chug in his post. I was with Jon, and concerned about the safety aspects. Not that we girls are power hitters, but it would be awefully sneaky (and therefore we would do it) to fake, and thus risk possible injury for the infielder (a ball to the face hurts just as much with a girl hitting 70km/hr as a guy hitting 100km/hr). But if there are guidelines to it like Chug mentioned, such as no faking, having to square up, etc., well then yeah, I think it's acceptable. I don't think I'd ever think to do it, but some girls could really use it to their advantage. When I played fastball I used to be able to square up to bunt, and slap the ball (still in a bunting stance) over the infield's head.
Personally, as I said, I don't think I'd ever think to use it. I like the idea of the smaller balls, because it allows us to hit almost as hard and far as the guys, in my opinion. Thus, we should be just as able to get our singles and doubles as the guys. I think that in itself should be good enough.

Chug48
06-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Actually upon thinking of the rule I believe it was actually an ejection from the game if they faked a bunt then slapped or hit it.

I will have to double check on that one, but I do know nobody was faking anything as either way giving up outs or ejections are pretty stiff penalties to pay, and almost assures the safety aspect of the game as well.

You are allowed to put your bat out to bunt, then not bunt, but you can not fake the bunt then hit it or slap it.I think everyone should try it and see what it is like, I know we ahd some classic bunts work for and against us on the weekend, it truly was neat to see the women be such a huge part of the game IMHO.

Take Care