View Full Version : Do real men play co-ed?

wall_33
06-09-2005, 04:12 PM
I like co-ed, but I must admit that I miss the old days of playing co-ed back in Toronto were it was 5 & 5.

7 & 3 isn't co-ed, its just bad men's ball!

What's the ladies point of view on this?

Jon_Sportsguy
06-09-2005, 04:21 PM
I play ASA so I mostly play 5/5 co-ed and yes Men play coed. We have a strong co-ed team and we all enjoy playing.

7-3 is not coed. Its a lame excuse for a league to call themselves coed to they can look good in someones eyes (sponsors, city, whoevers). It is just really saying that the ladies can play, but we only need 3. Its like the MIXED darts league I play in... 3 teams are all Male... (where is the coed aspect in that?) 6-4 is ok, but pushing the brink of the co-ed term. IMO

Jon

wall_33
06-09-2005, 04:42 PM
I'm glad the hear that someone agrees with me. Moving to Calgary was a big change for me in the ball world. They say that there are not enough women here to play 5 & 5. I disagree. I coach a ladies team, and there are at least 24 teams in that league, which would equate to at least 240 women ball players. Thats just the ladies division, not to mension that there are a lot of ladies that play co-ed only. Almost all tournaments around here are 7 & 3, which makes it tough when you go to play in the provincial and national tournaments which are 5 & 5. I have argued with both SPN and NSA about this. NSA says its about the numbers. SPN says they need to compete with NSA--if NSA is puting on a 7 & 3 tournament, most teams will play there rather than a 5 & 5 SPN event. And don't even get me started on NSA allowing women to bunt! Ugh! :bit-wallb

adam
06-09-2005, 05:01 PM
I play co-ed and it's a blast. Not as competetive as my mens' team, it's a great way to get out with friends and the family and play a game. 7/3 is ridiculous, I agree with you guys. It should be 5/5 or 6/4 all the time.....

cuppa
06-10-2005, 04:06 PM
agree with all 5 on 5 is co-ed. I played in a co-ed league last year and still play in tourneys with a co-ed team. I really do like it especially when the girls are just as intense about winning as most of the guys.

Your team is only as good as the girls playing, they make all the differance.

KCountry
06-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Hey Wall-33.

Not sure what Alberta tourneys you are playing in, but I have only played in one 7-3 tourney in the last 4 years, and it was ASA sanctioned.

At most tourneys the Competitive/Open division runs 6/4 format, you'll also find in that div you will hardly ever see the bunt used.

The 48-hour NSA tourny's running a 6-4 Open Division, or if you want to play 5-5 head north to play in Edson Aug. long.

I like 6-4. You've gotta have good girls that can play D. And I agree a co-ed team is only as good as it's girls are.

It "sometimes" scares me in 5-5 when you see a weaker team with girl playing 3rd or even pitching. There are just a few to many wanna be "real men" that will rip at a female in the infield to get on base.

Chug48
06-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Wall 33,

you seem to be very very bitter about the Co-ed/bunting/NSA thing, is there any particular reason? In all the games I either played in or watched that weekend, you were lucky to see 1 bunt a game, if this is your only reason for feeling so distressed I must ask the question why?

I can also tell you as a tournament convenor and an NSA rep, if I try to run tournaments with 5 and 5 I might just as well cancel before I start, there simply are not enough women willing to play on weekends in tournaments to field a good tournament.

6 and 4 is not to bad, but if we try 7 and 3, well that opens it right up and you can get a bunch of teams........perhaps this is why it is done?? Who wants to go to tournaments with 6 -8 teams playing 5 and 5? when you could play 7 and 3 and have 14-16??

I agree real co-ed should be atleast 6 and 4 to 5 and 5 but is not possible for every single weekend, atleast definitely not in my area.

Take Care

sporty.17
06-11-2005, 12:15 PM
why drink with all guys when you can mix in the women...coed is the way to go..for tourneys anyway....but play mens in league play

A.M.
06-11-2005, 07:34 PM
I'll play any ball you can get, you know that, Wall. But I prefer 5 and 5 over any ball. 7 and 3 just doesn't make me feel like I'm part of the game, plus it means I always get stuck at first base 'cuz I have a good glove and first base bores me to tears. Only other worse position is catching. Somebody wake me when it's over.

KMKjr
06-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Co-Ed is 5-5, anything else is just stupid.

Popeye
06-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Our league plays 7 & 3 only because ladies are sometimes hard to come by. We have 5 on our team but they all have never been there at the same time. But I feel the Tourny's should always be 5-5, thats true Co-ed ball.

wall_33
06-13-2005, 02:31 AM
Wall 33,

you seem to be very very bitter about the Co-ed/bunting/NSA thing, is there any particular reason? In all the games I either played in or watched that weekend, you were lucky to see 1 bunt a game, if this is your only reason for feeling so distressed I must ask the question why?

-----8<---------------8<---------------
I agree real co-ed should be atleast 6 and 4 to 5 and 5 but is not possible for every single weekend, atleast definitely not in my area.

Take Care

Very bitter? No. Passionate... Yeah, thats a better word. It seems that here in Calgary we can't get enough good girls to make enough 5 & 5 teams. Hmmm, I still find that hard to believe, but none the less, I have played 7 & 3 now for three years. I really miss the old days of 5 & 5 back in Toronto.

You are right, I would rather play in a tournament with 16 teams than with 6, there is no question of that. But... Hmmm, I don't know, I guess I just miss the old days. :(

tlby13
06-13-2005, 03:54 PM
I really agree with Kcountry on this one. As much as 5/5 is great to play, it's not easy to find that many good quality female ball players, and you end up risking putting a less qualified gal in a dangerous defensive position. I think 6/4 is plenty, it mean's you need at least 2 good qualified infielders and 1 qualified outfielder (& catcher), or vice versa. But I think finding 2/2 of each is pretty hard, unless you can find yourself a very good female pitcher.
Just a humble gal's $0.02

A.M.
06-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Oh come on, every team should have at least one pickup who's a girlfriend of Softball Guy and she shows up in a pink velour sweat suit or denim short shorts. It is also mandatory for her to shriek at least three times in a weekend, "My nails!" Now that would even out the competition! :D

KMKjr
06-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Oh come on, every team should have at least one pickup who's a girlfriend of Softball Guy and she shows up in a pink velour sweat suit or denim short shorts. It is also mandatory for her to shriek at least three times in a weekend, "My nails!" Now that would even out the competition! :D
So you've met my wife.

(no velour suit or denim, but at least a $300.00 Nike Dry Fit outfit)

dal72
06-16-2005, 03:31 PM
My wife actually likes to catch... so she can gun the ball back at the pitcher. It pains her to see the girls throw rainbows back to the pitcher that they never actually catch.

A.M.
06-17-2005, 02:36 PM
You should have seen the girls we were watching the other night, while post-game drinking. Wall was ready to dig his eyes out. Dig the Evo getting it all the way back to the pitcher!

Browner16
06-17-2005, 02:39 PM
I always get fingered drunk at mixed ball! lol

wall_33
06-17-2005, 02:53 PM
You should have seen the girls we were watching the other night, while post-game drinking. Wall was ready to dig his eyes out. Dig the Evo getting it all the way back to the pitcher!

The ball we watched the other night was like a bus accident in slow motion! You would turn away, but you kept looking back to see how bad it really was! :bit-wallb It was just down right wrong!

dal72
06-17-2005, 05:18 PM
Dig the Evo getting it all the way back to the pitcher!

What does this mean?

wall_33
06-17-2005, 05:20 PM
A girl on the team hit a sceaming 20 hopper back to the pitcher with an Evo. Basically, I think Flash was trying to say that the girl embarassed the bat. Not to say that I have never embarassed my bats before. :) As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure I did that last night!

A.M.
06-17-2005, 05:24 PM
A girl on the team hit a sceaming 20 hopper back to the pitcher with an Evo. Basically, I think Flash was trying to say that the girl embarassed the bat. Not to say that I have never embarassed my bats before. :) As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure I did that last night!

Not sure how anyone could embarrass that Envy. It was too easy getting a hit off that thing!
Just bought the red Wicked Insanity for $200. Can't wait to pay that brokerage fee, though.