View Full Version : Rolled Bat or Vice or Batting Practice

scar_11
05-16-2007, 02:11 PM
I am just wondering what people like to do to break in a bat

Rusty Shackleford
05-16-2007, 03:22 PM
I am just wondering what people like to do to break in a bat

BP and some mallet work. But only because I'm too cheap to pay someone $70 to roll a bat for me. Although if someone was local and I didn't have to pay shipping both ways, I'd probably pay someone $40 to do my Syn2. That thing is taking forever.

B-Nads
05-16-2007, 03:32 PM
My personal opinion is that putting cuts on the bat yourself helps you learn where the bat responds best, and gets you adjusted to its swing. A few mallet cuts helps speed this up, of course. If you are talking about a Syn2, an ASA Cat, or a Freak98, and you need it to perform quick, I would strongly advise rolling. Most other bats, however, open up a fair bit quicker.

I've hit both viced and rolled NSA bats - a Uncensored and a Yellow Cat. Both cleared the fences here by a good 50 feet...45 feet more than needed. Even the Cat showed sines of fatigue from the rolling, so beware - if improperly done, it can reduce the longevity of the bat...then again, unless you are an absolute bp fanatic...or a masochist...or both, the hits that vicing and rolling take off the bat are hits you don't want in a game anyway.;)

NT23
05-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Absolutely LOVE BP so I have no issues doing it that way. Practicing swinging a mallet or tightening a vice doesn't help me one iota on the field, so BP it is!!! Break in the bat while improving the swing...now there's a novel idea. LOL

Neil

Dirtydog
05-16-2007, 04:41 PM
If you have the time BP is one of the best ways to break in a bat (depending on the bat) as you get to improve your swing. The problem with BP is if a person has enough time to do it. I really don't want to hurt my team swinging a Syn2 with 100 cuts on it in a game as that is the only way I have to break it in.

Signguy
05-21-2007, 07:47 PM
I love going out for BP as well..but some bats need a little persuasion is all..but BP is gtg...I love it !!!

Chug48
05-29-2007, 09:21 AM
My personal opinion is that putting cuts on the bat yourself helps you learn where the bat responds best, and gets you adjusted to its swing. A few mallet cuts helps speed this up, of course. If you are talking about a Syn2, an ASA Cat, or a Freak98, and you need it to perform quick, I would strongly advise rolling. Most other bats, however, open up a fair bit quicker.

I've hit both viced and rolled NSA bats - a Uncensored and a Yellow Cat. Both cleared the fences here by a good 50 feet...45 feet more than needed. Even the Cat showed sines of fatigue from the rolling, so beware - if improperly done, it can reduce the longevity of the bat...then again, unless you are an absolute bp fanatic...or a masochist...or both, the hits that vicing and rolling take off the bat are hits you don't want in a game anyway.;)

So your advise is to cheat and alter a bat rather than learn how to hit properly? I guess this is how the game has changed, nobody does anything to get better, they just get better equipment even if it means cheating.

Take Care

capersaway
05-29-2007, 04:07 PM
So your advise is to cheat and alter a bat rather than learn how to hit properly? I guess this is how the game has changed, nobody does anything to get better, they just get better equipment even if it means cheating.

Take Care

There is no need of personal attacks. I don't think ASA specifies that rolling is illegal. Nothing is being added or removed from the bat. Rolling DOES NOT ADD DISTANCE. It breaks in the bat. A broken in Catty would perform the same as a rolled Catty.

Some people don't have the time or people available to put 300 to 500 cuts on their bat.

Also, rolling doesn't teach you to hit properly or improve your skills. If you cannot hit properly, you can go up there with a Ultra Maxload and still pop out to the pitcher.

Chug48
05-30-2007, 09:20 AM
There is no need of personal attacks. I don't think ASA specifies that rolling is illegal. Nothing is being added or removed from the bat. Rolling DOES NOT ADD DISTANCE. It breaks in the bat. A broken in Catty would perform the same as a rolled Catty.

Some people don't have the time or people available to put 300 to 500 cuts on their bat.

Also, rolling doesn't teach you to hit properly or improve your skills. If you cannot hit properly, you can go up there with a Ultra Maxload and still pop out to the pitcher.

Actually not true depending on the type of rolling, if it is heat rolled it alters the glue inside the bat that is required to be there for the bat to stay at 98MPH, therefore it is altering the bat, which is illegal.

Take Care

capersaway
05-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Actually not true depending on the type of rolling, if it is heat rolled it alters the glue inside the bat that is required to be there for the bat to stay at 98MPH, therefore it is altering the bat, which is illegal.

Take Care

So, rolling without heat is ok. I don't know if heating changes the composition. It could...it would need to be tested to determine that. I don't think B-nads mentioned anything about heat.

I see you are NSA, I have no clue if NSA specifically says rolling is illegal. I know USSSA does say it is. Asa doesn't specify.

ROBO19
06-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Anything you do to a bat to improve it's performance, other than hitting balls with it, is cheating in my books. If it's not then why don't the manufacturers roll them prior to selling them to you?
Cheers,
Chris

capersaway
06-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Anything you do to a bat to improve it's performance, other than hitting balls with it, is cheating in my books. If it's not then why don't the manufacturers roll them prior to selling them to you?
Cheers,
Chris

I haven't looked at rolling as improving it's performance. Rolling will bring it to what it will be at when it's broken in. You hit the bat in BP to break it in to it's full potential. The end result is the same but done by different means. I am not advocating that BP isn't more helpful...It obviously helps with your swing...but not everyone has that kind of time on there hands.

This is a good question. Obviously, manufactures want their bats to perform the best for sales purposes. I think it may be due to additional costs on the manufacturer that cut into their profit margins if they roll every bat. Maybe they don't want to tempt fate with the associations...I really don't know the answer to that question without talking to a manufacturer who is willing to address that. All I can do is speculate.

Dirtydog
06-01-2007, 03:02 PM
I haven't looked at rolling as improving it's performance. Rolling will bring it to what it will be at when it's broken in. You hit the bat in BP to break it in to it's full potential. The end result is the same but done by different means. I am not advocating that BP isn't more helpful...It obviously helps with your swing...but not everyone has that kind of time on there hands.

This is a good question. Obviously, manufactures want their bats to perform the best for sales purposes. I think it may be due to additional costs on the manufacturer that cut into their profit margins if they roll every bat. Maybe they don't want to tempt fate with the associations...I really don't know the answer to that question without talking to a manufacturer who is willing to address that. All I can do is speculate.

I would wager that the companies do not want the bats rolled as it will also decrease the life span of the bat, therfore causing the likelyhood of further warrenty returns and impact on the overall profit margin. I would agree with Capers that rolling does not increase the performance of the bat, but does put it to a level equal to a broken in bat. I am sure that to the person, everyone would say BP is the best method to break in a bat. Who doesn't want to go out and work on their swing, some are just not afford that luxury.

The_Yeti
06-02-2007, 09:08 PM
I would wager that the companies do not want the bats rolled as it will also decrease the life span of the bat, therfore causing the likelyhood of further warrenty returns and impact on the overall profit margin.

Couldn't they just lower the warranty period? For example: Instead of a year, they could offer a 6 month replacement period. I'm sure people don't buy bats because they have good warranty, they buy them because they are good bats.

fire47742
06-02-2007, 09:38 PM
i had my synergy 2 rolled, plus tons of BP and all i can say is DAMN its HOT now !!!
you can't go wrong by rolling !! i've personally seen the difference :notworthy

Dirtydog
06-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Couldn't they just lower the warranty period? For example: Instead of a year, they could offer a 6 month replacement period. I'm sure people don't buy bats because they have good warranty, they buy them because they are good bats.

True, but what would be the added cost to rolling each bat that is made. May not be much overall, but collectively it could slow down the manufacturing process, plus the cost of added equipment (rollers, something to add heat) plus the additional labour costs. Just speculation on my part and I have nothing to support this, just a guess.

Dirtydog
06-02-2007, 11:34 PM
i had my synergy 2 rolled, plus tons of BP and all i can say is DAMN its HOT now !!!
you can't go wrong by rolling !! i've personally seen the difference :notworthy

Do you think you bat is hotter than if you had just extensive BP, or just to that point quicker?

The_Yeti
06-03-2007, 01:18 AM
Could someone explain rolling and vicing to me? I'm not experienced in either of these fields.

fire47742
06-03-2007, 10:09 AM
i think my synergy 2 is hotter from rolling because it feels like the whole length of the barrell is brokin, BP does break in the bat nicely but sometime you get hotter spots than others, ie unless you rotate the bat perfectly in BP you aren't hitting all sides equally, plus you aren't hitting down or up on the barrell everytime.
rolling the bat does break in the whole length of the bat , on all sides !! :bit-clap:

nas76
01-06-2008, 11:01 PM
i know this is an old thread, but does rolling invalidate the warranty?

Signguy
01-07-2008, 10:11 AM
It might but are you going to tell them it was rolled?? otherwise how are they going to know???

nas76
01-07-2008, 02:25 PM
so there are no ways to tell?
thats good!